"Yes, it's a long story," answered Zuko.

Nava and several other warriors laid out their protests to Zuko's claim in knowing the Water Tribe siblings. Some had even suggested that Zuko must have known them because he was an enemy to the two.

"Look, if you want proof then I can provide it. I can tell you all my encounters with them if you like," suggested Zuko.

"No."

Everyone turned to Hakoda.

"I don't want to hear it," said Hakoda sadly.

Zuko balked at the chief's statement. He felt for sure he would have to tell them everything he knew.

"Are you sure?" asked Zuko.

"Yes, I'm sure, but I do want to know if they are safe, wherever they are," said Hakoda.

"Well, they're with the Avatar, so I can't really think of any place safer," answered Zuko.

"The Avatar?" gasped Hakoda. His curiosity grew, as well as the curiosity of the rest of his men, but he shook his head, "Why are they with Avatar? What happened to the village in the South Pole?"

"I'm not sure," said Zuko cautiously as he remembered Sokka mention it in a conversation after the Jet incident, "They never really went into great detail, except for the part where that was where they found Aang, the Avatar. I think your village is fine. They didn't really seem sad or distressed at the mention of it."

Sighs of relief were heard, but one person stepped forward.

"You guys can't be serious," muttered Nava.

Everyone looked at him.

"Don't tell me you guys are actually buying his guy's garbage," he added, "Did everyone forget he is a firebender? He's an enemy, and you're willing to trust his word about our families and friends? What if he's a spy?"

"I don't think he's a spy," said Bato, "If he was, he would have tried to get information from us as much as possible."

"Still, we shouldn't give him information on our village like that. The Fire Nation could use it against us," added Nava.

For once, Hakoda seemed to agree with the young Water Tribe warrior. As much as he liked Zuko, he wasn't willing to trust him with sensitive information like that. Especially since Zuko was a traitor. If he was ever captured and interrogated... it could be disastrous for the remnants of his tribe.

"Very well Nava, we'll stop talking about the village," said Hakoda, "Young man, you're free to go."

"But Hakoda, don't you want to hear about Sokka and Katara?" said Bato.

"I can't," said Hakoda.

Zuko knew Hakoda was lying. Years of living with his sister had attuned his senses in figuring out if a person was lying. He could tell Hakoda desperately wanted to know how his children were doing, but figured it was best to follow the warrior's wishes, hoping to strengthen his new acquaintance with the Water Tribe chief.

"Very well," said Zuko, "Thank you for treating me fairly as your prisoner. It was an honor to meet you."

He left the room, leaving behind Hakoda and Bato and the remaining warriors.

xXxXx

An hour had passed since Hakoda heard from Zuko that he knew his children. In the hour after he told them the partial information Zuko got a hearty, warm meal from the nuns to make up for the bowl of rice and small fish he had to eat in his confinement. Afterward, he went to his room to gather his belongings.