drown

It all just wasn't enough, Matty decided, as he lay bare-chested on his mattress. The moonlight trickled seamlessly though a crack in the curtain, seeping the dingy flat in an ethereal glow. A raspy sigh left the boy's mouth as he closed his eyes in search for something real. It was as if everything in that awful, small town was desaturated, lacking in any substance. Substance; something Matty was used to in bucket loads. He fell asleep silently, veins thrumming with something he has already forgotten the name of.

~

Much to his dismay, the following night Matty found himself in some horribly tacky club. He swayed listlessly in the chaotic darkness of the loud room, the air thick with the smell of moving bodies. Curled strands of brown hair fell carelessly out of the messy bun he had fashioned some time ago. He knew his makeup was smudged but he couldn't find the energy to go and fix it. It was as if he was stuck to the spot, as if he would continue to float in the sea of strangers forever.

It was only then that he felt like he was drowning.

Seemingly out of nowhere, he felt a harsh pain in his chest, his breaths coming in a ragged staccato. Blindly, Matty pushed through wave after wave of half naked strangers until he reached the bar. Suddenly, Matty felt a presence behind him, looming over his shoulder. God, now really wasn't the time to be getting hit on. "Hey, uh, are you feeling alright? You looked as if you were gonna faceplant just then", the man punctuated his sentence with a comforting hand on Matty's shoulder. It was a deep but strangely gentle voice. After a too-long pause, Matty eventually turned around to greet the concerned boy. In a rush, Matty's breath seemed to quicken and his hands trembled more erratically as he took in the figure in front of him. It was a boy of almost comical height compared to Matty's short stature, his eyes twinkling in the strobe lights. The sharp cut of his jaw line contrasted with the sheepish expression he wore on his face. The boy was beautiful, and he actually seemed to be looking at Matty with a sense of genuine concern. Matty wasn't used to that.
After another too long pause, Matty gathered his scattered thoughts quick enough to splutter, "uh, yeah I'm alright I think, probably just had a bit too much to drink. I'm Matty, by the way".

"George," said the handsome stranger, his hands coming fiddle with a loose thread on his shirt, "I was gonna offer to get you a drink but it seems like you've had enough". Even the sound of George's nervous chuckle was enough to make Matty's knees unexplainably weak. What's wrong with me?, Matty thought, I can't shut down the second a fit guy talks to me.
"Yeah I think it's best if I call it a night..." Matty uttered almost mournfully, wishing to savour this morsel of seemingly innocent human interaction with this handsome stranger, no, with George.

"Ah, right, of course, sorry for keeping you-" the words tumbled out of George's mouth in a rush until Matty interrupted him by thrusting a shred of paper in front of the nervous boy. "Call me... please? I get lonely sometimes." As soon as he uttered the strangely pitiful message, Matty turned on his heels and strutted out of the club, leaving behind George with a rightfully shocked expression painted on his face.

Matty's skin prickled as the cold night air hit his overheated skin. He lit up a cigarette out of habit, a strangely giddy feeling welling up inside him. The lights outside seemed just a little bit brighter already.