=9=

"This is ridiculous," Preminger chided the boys blinking before him in the morning sun.

"What's ridiculous is how long it took Nick to pack. We don't even own anything more than the shirts on our back!" Nack laughed, hitting his brother upside the head as the latter rummaged through a worn cloth-turned-satchel.

"Its food, isn't it? Gotta eat, haven't we?"

Nack rolled his eyes, scoffing. He opened his mouth to continue to bicker but Preminger's voice cut his words short.

"I don't care what you brought, you're taking it back with you to the orphanage!" He snapped, running a palm against his blonde hair, darkened by the soot in the mines.

"Back?" the boys started in unison. They turned to exchange a glance, eliciting a fit if giggles as Preminger set his jaw and glared in frustration.

"We're not going back!"

"Yes you are! I get you want an out but you're too young, I'm not dragging a couple of 12 year olds around with me on the streets."

"14 now, actually," Nack corrected as his brother eagerly nodded. "Look, we have to stick together. In a few years it will be me and Nick with no where to go but the streets. Better we go now then later. And we can help you!"

"We've got sticky fingers," Nick added with a wink of his baby blue eyes.

"We're your friends." Nack reminded him, and it was the earnesty with which he said it that held more weight than all his words.

"Fine," Preminger sighed. "Fine. But you listen to me, okay? Stick together, don't cause trouble."

The boys nodded.

"And," He eyed them with a hint of amusement. "No stealing."

Two identical expressions of disbelief stared back at him.

"How do you mean no stealing?" Nick moaned. "How do you expect us to eat?"

"And you cant seriously be expecting to stay in these rags for the rest of our days. We need clothes!"

"And shoes!"

"Did we already mention food?"

"Well," Preminger mused, casually beginning this new journey as he strolled along. The twins scurried to keep up. "Earned money is the answer to those questions, and I think you'll find most people would agree with me."

"Earned money? What like wages? Preminger you cant possibly be talking about getting a job."

Preminger looked down at his brown haired companion and let out a chuckle.

"That's exactly what I'm talking about."

The twins groaned.

"The whole world at our fingertips and you're talking about getting a job?" Nack raised his hands to emphasize his point.

Premingers eyes found the sky above the dull grey buildings of the village. The whispers of his father were in the wind.

"An honest life isn't built on thievery. Believe me, I get where you're coming from. Life isn't fair. But we were given these hands to work, and if its an honest life we want, then its honest work we'll put into building it. So, no stealing."

Nick and Nack furrowed their brows, lips in a pencil lined bow as they considered Premingers words. There was disappointment in their faces when Nack finally spoke.

"Fine. I don't expect you're rushing to return to the mines, though?"

Preminger scoffed. "Not if I can help it."

"Then where are you planning to go to work?"

Preminger smiled, lifting his head as a warm breeze combed through his hair. There was a freshness in the air that smelled like newfound freedom.

"Where all honest men go looking for honest work."

Nack raised an eyebrow.

"The pub."