Chapter 2: Genius

I sat on the little wooden bench in the garden in front of our house, regarding and observing the neighborhood. The other houses looked almost exactly as ours, except some of them were painted in different colors. One of them in a light blue tone, another one in some sort of red or carmine, and another one- my personal favorite- was colored in a light and soft yellow that looked like the little butterfly that got lost in our apartment in Chicago. Most of the houses were already decorated for Christmas, covered under mistletoes and bright light bulbs. I've always loved Christmas and snow especially. I loved the beautiful snowflakes and the way they sparkled in the dimmed winter sun.

"Hey, new girl", I suddenly heard his soft voice, "Have you been dreaming?"

I turned around and recognized him standing just a few steps away from me. A mischievous smile on his lips, his hands in his pockets as he curiously looked around.

"Where's your Christmas decoration?", he wanted to know, closely regarding every inch of our house.

"Still inside", I replied and half smiled at him, "Probably in one of the boxes with Christmas Stuff on it."

He chuckled and his eyes crinkled in this cute way I've never seen before.

"So", he started and crossed his arms, "What would you like to do first? Shall I show you the neighborhood or my house?"

"Your house?", I repeated and raised an eyebrow.

"Well, my parents' house", he corrected himself.

I got up and walked by him.

"I've already seen the neighborhood", I countered as he followed me through the garden.

I could easily imagine the roguish smile he must have had on his lips again.

"Then", he continued and ran across the street right towards the light yellow house, "I'll introduce you to my family."

He opened the door and politely invited me in with his typical smirk on his lips.

We entered a long hallway with many pictures of Nathan and his parents on the walls. I stopped in front of one that showed all of them together. Nathan was still very young, a baby. His mother- she looked really beautiful with her long black hair and bright blue eyes- smiling from one ear to another as she pressed Nathan's cute snub nose against her cheek while his father gently laid his arms around her shoulder, a look of love in his eyes.

"Kate?", his smooth voice suddenly brought me right back to reality, "Come with me."

I nodded quickly and followed him to the room at the end of the corridor.

"This is my reign", he said proudly before he opened the door for me, "I'm sure you'll like it!"

He was pretty bold but at the same time still charming.

I marveled and entered his room. There was a small bed with superhero bedding- the same red and yellow one he had on his shirt yesterday- in one corner. The walls were covered under posters of the same superhero, lots of screws and a few tools laying on the ground.

"What are you working on?", I asked curiously and closely regarded the little robot in another corner.

"Oh that's cool, it's some artificial intelligence that helps me to build new robots", he explained and sat down on his bed, showing me to sit down next to him, "Besides, its pretty helpful because he helps me tidy up my room."

He chuckled as I bore him company.

"Hey, would you like to have some hot chocolate and cookies?", he wanted to know.

"Sure", I said and smiled at him.

Immediately, he jumped up again and quickly left the room.

Curiously, I looked around and recognized some sheets of papers with mathematical equations I've never seen before and didn't understand at all.

Just a few seconds later, Nathan entered the room again, handing me a hot chocolate and a plate filled with some chocolate chip cookies.

"Thanks", I mumbled and took a sip, "Uhm, what's your robot called?"

"His name is Jimmy", he answered and grinned.

I nodded slightly.

"So, you're a little genius, right?", I assumed smirkingly.

"Sort of", he agreed and I recognized he blushed a little.

"Nathan!", a soft female voice suddenly yelled.

"Oh, that's my mum", he explained to me before the door opened and the black haired woman appeared in the doorway.

"Hello", she greeted politely, a warm and welcoming smile on her lips, "You must be Kate."

"Hello, Mrs. Stark", I shyly greeted her back.

"Call me Jenna", she offered politely.

I nodded slightly and half smiled at her.

"So, would you like to stay for dinner tonight?"

"I'd really like to but I promised my dad to be back home for dinner", I answered quietly.

She nodded understandingly.

"Sure. I'm going to leave you two alone then", she added, "Feel free to come over whenever you like to. You're cordially invited."

I thankfully smiled at her.

"Thank you."

Then she left Nathan's room again.

"She likes you", he explained smirkingly, "She has never invited one of my friends for dinner before."

"So, you consider us as friends?"

He nodded quickly.

"Of course", he replied then, "I'd never let someone I wouldn't call a friend enter my room. They could steal my ideas..."

Immediately, I started to laugh.

"You think I'm trustworthy?", I assumed.

"Absolutely", he agreed with a mischievous smile on his lips, "I know I can trust you."

This time, it was me who blushed. And for a second, we simply looked into each other's eyes. But then I caught a glimpse of the clock.

"Holy...", I whispered and quickly jumped up again, "I gotta go!"

"I'll fetch you tomorrow", he suggested and got up, his hands in his pockets as his puppy eyes looked at me, "We can go to school together."

I nodded quickly.

"Sure", I agreed before he quickly kissed my cheek and my whole face turned red, "See you tomorrow, genius!"

He chuckled.

"See you tomorrow, new girl", he added quietly as I left his room.