//Chapter Eight//

Start from the beginning

Mabel laughed. "Yep, I'm pretty useless when it comes to math and-well, whatever other stuff you do for research. But it's really cool that you can do them!"

Unsure of how to handle the compliments, Mason gave a nervous laugh-shrug. "Heh, thanks."

"No problem. Anyway, now that Stan isn't here to judge me..." Wendy flipped her magazine back open, leaving Mason awkwardly leaning against the counter.

He fidgeted with a Mr. Mystery bobblehead, occasionally stealing glances back up at Wendy as she read. The day before, after she turned back to normal and they were walking home from the cave, she had pulled Mason aside to talk to him.

"Look, just... don't think of me any differently now that you know I'm-you know. I'm still..." She had hesitated, not meeting Mason's eye. "Just because I'm half dragon doesn't mean that I'm-"

Mason had frowned, not really sure what she was trying to say. "You're making it sound like being half-dragon is a bad thing."

"It is! I mean- it's not- but that's not what everyone in town thinks. They-" Wendy stared at the ground. "They think I'm a monster. Or, well, half monster. They hate the forest- they're scared of it- and they're scared of me, too." She sighed. "I've had a lot of friends leave me when they found out who I was. I just- I don't want to lose anyone else."

Wendy thinks I'm her friend Wendy thinks I'm her friend Wendy thinks- "But being half dragon is, like, the coolest thing ever!" Mason said fervently. "If they don't like you for that, then they're just a bunch of- uh- a bunch of-" He fumbled for a suitable insult, but came up empty.

At his words, Wendy had laughed. "Thanks, man. That means a lot. Just... just pretend like you don't even know." She drew a finger across her lips, zipping them shut.

Mason had nodded and returned the gesture. "Alright."

But, Mason realized as he watched her reading the magazine, that would be harder to do than he'd thought. Not for the same reason the townspeople treated her differently- in fact, the complete opposite. Even when he'd first arrived, Wendy had seemed so cool she was almost larger than life. Now that he knew she was half dragon too... her coolness levels had basically broken the charts.

How was he supposed to act the same now that he knew the true depths of her awesome? Mason had had a crush on her for a while, and knowing this wasn't doing anything to dispel it. He sighed inwardly. Maybe he should tell her about it-

No. No way. Just the thought of telling Wendy about his crush on her made Mason start sweating. He wiped his forehead- nope, nope, nope.

Wendy glanced up from her magazine. "Uh, you good, dude?"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine," Mason said, his cheeks burning furiously. As she turned back to her magazine, he slumped down. In a way, things would be a lot easier if he could tell her how he felt- for one, Mason wouldn't have to worry about hiding it from her. But- it was too risky. What if she thought he was weird? What if she didn't want to be his friend anymore? It would just mess everything up- Mason couldn't do it.

A dull thud echoed from behind them, making both Mason and Wendy jump- although Mason was glad to have the attention off of him. "Aw, man! That's the tallest we've gotten yet!"

Mason turned around to see Mabel and Soos down on their knees, assorted Mystery Twins Magic Emporium merchandise spread on the floor around them- everything from license plates to bobble heads to snow globes. Mason cocked his head. "What are you doing?"

"Making a tower!" Mabel said, looking up with a grin. "Soos got it halfway to my knee last time."

"We're trying to get it even taller than Mabel," Soos said. "But gravity conspires against us."