"stargazing" {tsukkiyama}

tadashi yamaguchi x tsukishima kei
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Did you know they call you the moon, Tsukki?"

Tsukishima turns to see with my gaze that's lost in the sea of stars above us as I speak. The stars glimmer above us as we lay out in the secluded woods, feeling the radiating heat from the campfire behind us. Crickets chirp quietly while the fire crackles near our ears, our proximities so close we can smell like sting of the bug spray coating each other's bodies.

The latter follows my gaze to the sky. Many deep dark blues and black hues create an pollutant free view of space, the image crystal clear from the site with our lodge behind us. The colors swirl and mix together to paint a beautiful picture above us as the grass tickles our ankles below. I smile softly seeing the stars twinkle and shine and look down upon us, nostalgic.

"Yeah," I muse, sighing softly while humming to the sounds of nature surrounding us. Trees loom over us but stay away from our clearing, the pine needles occasionally getting swept onto the blanket we lay on and the oak leaves sometimes floating down to get tangled into our hair. A bird softly flaps its wings, flying from a tree, as it crosses paths with the sight of a twinkling galaxy almost in front of us.

That wasn't the only thing catching my attention, though.

Tsukishima Kei. His eyes were almost as alluring as the stars surrounding us. The golden orbs glittered like the sky and sparkle contrasted with the warm light of the fire. My favorite thing to do was to catch the boy's obvious side glances, always treasuring the butterflies in my stomach as we stare into each other's eyes for no longer than a few seconds.

His smile can be mocking, sinister, or genuine. His pearly whites were always straight and blinding those around him. It's not like he smiles often, but when he does my face flushes and a contagious grin seeps onto my face. His side smirk is killer, when the corner of his mouth quirks up it is attractive. But, I find his happiest smile rarer than most. He only smiles at me with that energy.

He holds himself with confidence and illuminates my path. Kei will always shine brighter than the rest. He helps me through the dark, without even knowing it. And when I'm stumbling off track, he pulls me back to where I know it. Underneath it all, he'll always act like he doesn't know me, but I'm sure one day the distance won't seem so far. Maybe one day Tsukki will reintroduce me to his parents as his instead. We'll share tight hugs, and hot cocoa too. And when he's sick and contagious, I'll be sick and contagious too.

I want to be side by side with him every day, I won't loom in his umber or outshine him like the day. I only want to care and protect him. Maybe one day he'll let me love him like I love the stars.

"Why?" Tsukishima questions, quirking an eyebrow up when I look over. I sigh, knowing I don't have an answer. I glance at the moon before turns back to him.

"I think it's because you're very important, more important than you think."

He takes that as a compliment and the two of us again became peaceful. I lean my head on Tsukki's shoulder cautiously, and I feel him tense up slightly before relaxing and getting used to my head leaning on his shoulder. I hum content tunes under my breath, so maybe Kei wouldn't hear, but out of the corner of my eye I can see the man looking at me. I simply stop humming in fear.

"Hey." I flinch, his voice breaking our silence.

"Continue humming, but louder this time, I like it."

So I continue to hum an old song that I once knew, one about everyone ascending into the stars. I know I'm missing a couple notes, and maybe skipping a couple verses only to sing the chorus off key. Tsukishima didn't seem to mind though, as he sighs loudly almost below me. I can hear his heart rate speeding up, feeling his pulse on his neck.

One day when I ascend, I want to be a star near the moon, so that when people look at Tsukki they will always see me too.

741 words