XXIV. Out of the Shadows

Start from the beginning

“She had us all fooled until Halian discovered the truth.” I shrugged. “If she had not, I doubt anyone would have figured it out.”

“She is intelligent, that one.” He smiled to himself. He approached my bedside. “How is your back?”

“I must have something numbing it, because it is not bothering me.” I scowled. “I will feel the pain soon enough.”

“You have felt enough for a hundred beings, Nimalia.” I leaned into his touch as he put a hand on my face. “It is time you stopped feeling pain and felt other things.”

“Did any Men survive?”

“Yes, and those that did are locked away with Nikita. They will never leave Greenwood even if they claim to have changed while they spent time in the dungeons.”

“I am sorry that you found out about Nikita in that way.” I sniffed. “It must have been hard on you.”

“It was. It hurt me to injure her, but I had to. I was not going to let her get away with murdering you.”

“I think you have seen enough dead bodies for forever,” I mused. “How many guards were…?”

“Nimalia, I would rather not think about that right now,” Legolas said gently. The bed sunk in as he finally decided to sit down. “If you are up to it, my father seeks an audience with you whenever is most convenient for you.”

“How is he?”

“He is well; he did not suffer any injuries.”

“Did you?”

“Only scratches.” He smiled thinly. He rested his forehead on mine. “He is not happy about my feelings for you, though. He had not been when I had been with Nikita. It is the matter of our statuses.”

“Figures.” I blew out a noisy breath.

But, maybe your actions have changed his mind about us.”

“Us? Legolas, we are not a couple.” I giggled. “I would love to be, but you are technically married to Nikita.”

“That is already getting taken care of. Though most bad endings would require alone time to help the healing process, this one is different. Being with someone I know I love will help me, just as I am sure it will help you heal as well.”

“I promise I do not hold any magic inside of me,” I said playfully.

“I know there are no tricks when it comes to you, Nimalia.”

“For the love of the Valar, just kiss her already!”

I rolled my eyes playfully. Legolas looked a bit upset, which he had every right to be. Halian just ruined the moment by announcing her presence, even if she was outside of the room.

“Go to your room, Halian,” I called outside. “Do not force me to get a guard to escort you.”

Once we were sure Halian had no intentions on circling back here, I could only laugh at her.

“She has been putting us together from the time I met her,” I told him. “She never liked Nikita.”

“She has good instincts.” Legolas chastely kissed me. “Your life will never see darkness again, Nimalia, I am sure of it.”

“Why do you say that?”

“As long as I am at your side, no further harm will come to you.”

*      *      *

I should have felt proud of myself for technically saving Greenwood. Still, when I was before the king, whatever pride I had vanished. His piercing gaze could render any soul intimidated. He did not seem as intimidating now, though.

“I see you are healing well,” he noted.

“You have excellent healers,” I stammered. “What did you want me for, Your Majesty?”

“I have quite a bit to talk with you about, little one.” I am not a child, I thought bitterly. “No being has ever had the audacity to try and overthrow a king and his heir and become successful. It is something you hear about very little, and it is an even rarer sight to behold. I had my suspicions when you and Nikita came to Greenwood. I focused on the wrong one for too long, allowing her to get by my watch.

“I do not do this often, because I have rarely had the need to. I owe you an apology, Nimalia, for being so blind to the obvious that you were being framed.”

“It fooled a lot of us,” I said coolly.

“You should have been locked away on sight, since I banished you from here. But given the circumstances of your return, that did not happen. That is another thing I need to address. Since you helped in saving everyone at the wedding, your banishment is revoked. You are more than welcome to stay in Greenwood for as long as you wish.”

“It wasn’t just me, Your Highness, who solved the mystery.”

“Ah, yes. Halian.” He smiled thinly. “I have yet to speak with her, she did not want to part from you while you were unconscious.” I blushed. “Perhaps she could become someone of high usefulness for me.”

“While we are on the subject of her, I would like to ask your permission for her to leave if she chooses to.”

“That is a bold request.”

“She has deserved some time away. I know she is not bound by the law to remain here, but I figured it was better to ask you than to get her into trouble.”

“When the time comes for her to leave, I will grant her the privilege. There is also the matter of your attachment to my son.”

Oh no, here we go.

“It does not take someone with magic to sense something between you two. With you and him, it is almost a natural connection that was destined for you both. Do not think this means that I am warmed up to the idea of my son seeing someone who is not royalty. I only came to accept Nikita because of her influential magic. You are a different case, Nimalia.”

“So, in a way, you do accept it, but you are not fond of the idea,” I concluded. The king said nothing, so I assumed I was right. “Your Highness, with all due respect, I think your say in it does not hold much value like it would have ages ago.” I exhaled heavily. “Truthfully, how much royal blood is left here in Middle-earth? You can try to keep a purely royal line in the family all you want, but the window for that is fading.”

This was utterly embarrassing, talking about my relationship with Legolas’ father. But I was sure the king saw the validity in my words. Times were changing. The old ways could only last so long before they had to be thrown out in order to let the new ways come in.

We stood in awkward silence. I wanted to be excused so I could escape and settle down. This conversation wasn’t going so well now. I felt like we had crossed into dangerous territory, I wanted to back out before things escalated.

            Finally, the king spoke, “I cannot deny that what you say is true, Nimalia. Our world is ever-changing. That does not mean that my mind will conform to the changes right away, however.”

            “No one expects you to,” I said carefully. “C-can I be dismissed now, Your Majesty? I feel as though we have reached our conversation’s end.”

            “I believe you are right. You may go now.”

            I did a thoughtful bow before leaving the King of Greenwood. At least the talk did not go down a dangerously disastrous path. Even if the king never approved of the relationship, he would not stop it . Legolas and I had a bond that would not have anything in its way, even something as important as the king’s approval. 

**I don't know why, but I love the title I gave this chapter. It's true, the worst is over. The baddies are dealt with and our Nimolas lives on and (finally) comes together, without any complications.

On another note. One. More. To go. Are you ready for it?**