Witchery Trickery

Start from the beginning

My men scampered off to do my bidding but a few stuck by my side to aid me. In an event such as an attack Tillia knew to take Rize to a hidden room and stayi put until I personally told her otherwise. The room was located at the back of Rize's closet. One lone clothes hanger hung to the left. It only needed to be tugged to release the wall for a quick disappearance. Marching back to the kitchen, I grabbed my forgotten cell phone off of the table and quickly contacted Tillia. I had to make sure that she followed my instructions and that Rize was safe. Hearing her voice eased my nerves some. Tillia had acted quickly and done exactly as I had told her to as soon as she heard the blast. After instructing her to remain there until I was certain the premises were safe, I journeyed outside to join my men in the hunt. The blaze had been distinguished but smoke still smolder about what use to be my car. Clearly I was someone's target. The question was who's and when would the next attempt be?

My mind ran rampant as I looked at my men. Was it one of them? Or was it a client? Perhaps it was another leader that saw me as a threat. In the meantime I pushed the thoughts aside and pushed up my sleeves. What kind of queen would I be if I didn't place myself out in the field along with my men?

It was well after midnight before we ended the hunt empty handed. Not so much as a hair was left behind and the camera's had malfunctioned revealing nothing. We were at a dead end. Half of my men was going to stand guard while the other half rested. I did inform Tilla that it was safer to stay in the secret room until I get some answers. Thankfully the room is stored with food and other important essentials.

Going to my room I intended to take a bath and wait to visit Rize in the morning. As I entered my room, I slid my shoes from my feet. I begin to make my way to the lamp beside my bed when I heard the sound of a match being struck. Stopping in my tracks, I saw the soft glow of a cigarette as it was lit. I heard a deep inhale followed by an exhale and a swirl of smoke. "You know, it's my habit to smoke before a kill".

That voice, her voice turned my blood to ice. She was here. She had found me. Instantly all of the stories I had heard lit up my mind. Wait, I'm a queen now. I'm powerful. She can't scare me anymore. Reaching for the gun attached to my side I heard her velvety chuckle. "Go ahead. I dare you but first let me inform you that before you can even take aim a series of holes will be pierced through you... And probably all in the head".

It was then that I heard several guns click and strange men emerge from the darkness of the room. "If you want to take your next breath I'd advise you to place your hands high in the air and allow Charles to disarm you".

Fuck, this wasn't good but what choice did I have. Doing as she asked a man I presumed to be Charles strip me of all weapons. Still, I hadn't seen her face, only the Orange tip of the cigarette gave away her location. Then suddenly I heard the clicking of her high heels as she begin to approach. With each tap of her heel dread filled me. Then I saw her produce a slim, shiny object and realized it was a knife. As she walked closer she trailed the blade along my wall scaring the wood. Eventually she came to a stop before me. With a scary, crooked grin she purred. "So, you think you're a queen now?"

I had two options, let my fear show or man up and be the queen I proclaimed to be. Choosing the latter, I stood erect and peered down at her short stature. "Why yes I am. The new Queen to be exact". I said smartly.

Again, that unnerving chuckle. "How cute. Just darling. Tell me then, how does a queen leave her home partially unguarded so The queen can gain entrance. It was far too easy after I eat the car bomb off. Everyone ran to the front while little old me slipped in the back. Come on, be smarter than that".

" You know I never did like you. " I heard the word's leaving my mouth but I couldn't stop and continued my onslaught of verbal disdain.

"When we first met you was so scared that I'd take King away from you, away from your control. You was threatened by me then and are now. You know I have it in me to be a great queen, perhaps better than yourself and it scares you. Tell me, did you know who I was when we first met?"

This woman showed no fear at my word's. In fact she seemed amused if anything. "Me, scared of you? A fucking amateur? I'm more scared of the dentist than the likes of you. I only pity you. For you know not what you do. This hair brain scheme of yours will find you dead". She paused and tapped her head.

" I know what you're trying and it won't work. You're mad, hurt and want revenge. I'm guessing that your revenge lies within my family or King but you do the math. Count how many people had ever walked away from an attack on the Harper's.... None, zero. Don't be the next to lose. That's my only warning. And to answer your question, no I didn't know who you was but after a little research I found out".

"Then why didn't you tell me?" I gritted out fighting back my tears.

" Wasn't my place to. Besides you have it all wrong. You're blaming King for something that was out of his control. By now you know how our world work's. Yes, my husband killed your parent's. Yes, I understand how that makes you feel but King doesn't deserve a revenge that's not meant for him. What I'm saying is that it's in your best interest to leave my son out of your plots. You will not succeed. And if you even consider coming within a hair of my husband I'll take my last breath to see you dead. "

She paused again and took a step back. "Now tell me about my grandchild, your Harper child?"

A new fear seized me. There was no way I could allow this woman to take Rize from me. He was all I had. Yes, I had even prepared for this circumstance but having it actually play out was a far cry from running over it in my mind. Turning my features to stone and wiping any evidence off my face from the lie I was about to tell I spoke. "I miscarried during my seventh month. I have proof".

Laney eyed me skeptically and I prayed that she bought my lie. "I have medical paper's in my nightstand drawer. If you'll allow me..."

Her sharp voice cut me off. "Charles, will you do the honors of retrieving me those paper's?"

The man did as she asked. Within moment's Laney held the fake paper's in her hand looking over them. Once satisfied, she looked at me. "Sorry for the loss. Now here is what is going to happen" . She purred and reached into her bag removing some paper's.

"This is a contract that you are going to sign. It states that you will be allowed to continue building and overseeing your Empire on a few conditions. You will keep it here and never bring it to the state's. You will never try to take our client's and you will cease any revenge plans on any or all Harper's immediately. King will not know about this contract. In fact he will continue to assume you are dead unless you want to see him?"

Once again Laney eyed me awaiting my reply. "No. I never want to see him. Ever".

" Okay. Then he will continue to think you are dead. Now if you agree to these terms go ahead a sign".

"And if I don't?" I questioned .

Laney placed the tip of her knife to her finger. "Let's just say that accidents happen and most of the time I am the cause".

Shit. This is all wrong. I never figured any of them would find me until I placed my own attack. This screws my plans up. With Laney knowing where I am puts me at risk of being killed or Rize being discovered. I had no choice but to sign if I wanted to keep Rize hidden. It's no longer about seeking revenge, now it's about keeping Rize a secret. I can't let them take him away from me. With venom in my veins, I spat. "Wait. I want to ensure that if I do sign this contract you nor any Harper will come looking for me ever, no matter the reason. I chose to remain dead to them all".

Laney thought it over for a moment. "I'll see to that. No one will bother you".

Then and only.Then did I sign but what happened next somewhat shocked me. Laney removed a box from her bag. "To make us even I'm returning everything we gained from your parent's. The money, land, everything" .

Tears threatened to spill again as I mumbled. "But why?"

I received no reply so I looked up to find her and the men gone. Vanished.

I've heard many thing's about Laney Harper, most not good but in this huge gesture I saw a different woman. I saw a caring, compassionate person... I saw a true Queen. I saw the queen I wanted to be and realized that my stone handed ways wouldn't make me that type of queen... I wanted to be just like her.