Chapter One | Cute Cakes And Great Boys

When I was younger I was certain
That I'd be fine without a queen
Just a king inside his castle
With an ocean in between
~
Oh, Calamity - All Time Low

~E~

The entire castle was bustling with energy and excitement as I passed through the long hallways. Today was my father's birthday, and we would be celebrating it with the entire country like we did every year. This year we'd be going to New Haven and I was looking forward to that. I'd never been there before but I was excitedto see the little town for myself.

"Ethan!" my younger brother Keynan greeted when I entered the room where my suit laid.

"Hey, Key! You look handsome." I said with a chuckle.

"Thank you! Are you excited? Dad told me I was born there!" Keynan's chocolate brown eyes sparkled with energy and he smiled so wide that his dimples showed.

Keynan got adopted by my parents when he was one year old because his family and my family were close friends and they couldn't take care of him anymore. His mother died and left his father Reece Neelan with his sick son and no money. My parents immediately helped them out but Reece was in no state to raise him, too hung up on grief for the loss of his wife and no money to care for his son who needed medical care. So he handed his only son over to us and of course, my parents welcomed him with open arms.

"I know." I chuckled at my nine-year-old brother. He might be the youngest, with me being fifteen years older, but that never stopped me from playing with him in the castle. Much to our father's dismay.

"What if I meet my real father? I know why he gave me away but still. What if he wants me back?" Keynan asked, looking down as he looked at himself in the mirror.

"Don't worry Key, Reece is a good man and still a close friend of dad's. They'll let you decide whether you want to meet him or not." I tried to assure him, walking over and grabbing my tux from the bed where it laid perfectly. I changed into it and looked at myself as I fixed my tie.

"Well look at you two, being handsome for once."

I turned around to see our older sister Alexandra enter the room. She wore a simple sapphire blue dress. It went all the way down her legs and she wore black heels underneath making her even taller than she already was. Her long blonde hair was held up by pins and her blue eyes popped out from the colour of the dress. She always looked too good for her own good.

"I would say the same, but that'd be a lie," I smirked at her.

She rolled her eyes and walked over to Keynan. "Fix your tie, Ethan." She said while she helped Keynan do his.

"My tie is just fine." I rolled my eyes but checked it in the mirror anyway. The suit I wore looked grey on the first glance, but if you looked closer then you'd see that it was mixed with slight hints of forest green threads. It was tailored so it'd fit me perfectly. My tie was the same shade of green as the threads in the suit. My dark brown hair was done in a messy quiff and a few strands fell casually over my forehead. I'd tried to tame the slight curls on the side of my head by brushing them backwards.

I blinked at myself, my electric blue eyes staring back at me. People always said I was very handsome, the perfect picture of a dream prince, with my blue eyes, perfectly thick hair, full eyebrows, a sharp jawline and thinly framed lips. I knew I had looks other people would kill for, but I didn't define myself as handsome. Sure, I knew I wasn't ugly and I knew I caught the attention of a lot of girls and guys, but I didn't show it in my behaviour. People expected that from me but I just didn't want to be known for that.