Part 6

"Thank you, Mommy Majors," Timothy parroted his friend though he didn't know why. He was just relieved to have his bear and held it tightly to his chest. He was grinning from ear to ear. Ms. Major gestured to the boys to go first. Daniel saw them and waved them over. He motioned that he had obtained some breakfast for them.

Timothy walked past the tables where the kids his age were eating with that same silly grin on his face. His nose up in the air. Mark followed somewhat embarrassed, a few feet behind. Daniel had Timothy sit next to him and Mark sat across the table from them.

Daniel's tray for Timothy consisted of sugary, cold cereal, a small pitcher of milk, some juice and an orange. For Mark, he got some French toast and scrambled eggs and a glass of milk. He explained that there hadn't been much left to choose from.

Timothy's attitude improved as he ate and it wasn't long before the whole table was laughing and joking around. Even Mark began to relax and join in the fun. Of course, that couldn't last long.

Someone had mentioned that Daddy Grinns was watching the table from across the room. Timothy took the opportunity to ask a question that had been bothering him since his arrival. "Why do you call them "Daddy Grinns" and "Mommy Majors"?

The conversation stopped. Everyone was looking at him. Mark was blushing. He had meant to explain this to him but never had the chance. Now it was too late. Daniel took a deep breath. He looked at Timothy like he had fallen off the moon.

"We call them that because all men are daddies, and all women are mommies." he said, in a tone like he was explaining the obvious to a baby.

"But that doesn't make sense," Timothy responded.

Mark spoke up. He wanted to be accepted by the group and Timothy was blowing that chance. "Come on, Timothy. We talked about this, remember? Guys, he's joking" he said earnestly. Just then the bell rang and the group started to disperse.

Timothy wouldn't let it go. "But that doesn't make sense!" he said a little too loud as he and Mark were walking out.

"Sush!"

"But it doesn't make sense. All men are daddies? All women are mommies? That's absurd." He said quietly.

"It doesn't have to make sense. It just is, okay? Gee whiz!" He shook his head. He was glad the old Timothy was back, but the old Timothy could be exasperating. Right on cue, Mr. Grinns appeared to escort Timothy to his class. He tried to argue that he didn't need an escort but Mr. Grinns reminded him that the school was somewhat maze-like and it was easy for new students to get lost.

Mr. Grinns smiled at the boy, who appeared deep in thought. Timothy could testify to that. He had gotten lost more than once. In fact, things were so confusing that he had told Mark, "Student Disorientation" might be a better description of the process he was going through. He hugged his bear tighter at the thought of it.

Timothy's remedial reading teacher, Mr. Arch, was so pleased to see him holding his bear that nice he had the boy sit in the front row. The class was still studying Goose Bumps stories and today's exercise was to have each boy read their favorite passage.

Being in the front row meant that Timothy would be among the first students to read. He quickly thumbed through the book in front of him and found a passage he was familiar with. Mr. Arch called him up and he began.

It didn't go well. He stumbled over words that he knew and the teacher had to correct him several times. The whole ordeal took a good ten minutes and by the end of it, Timothy was glad he had his bear for solace. He was sure he'd get ribbed endlessly for his performance but when he sat down the class was applauding.