Part 4

Timothy had been in his room stewing over his betrayal by his friend when he heard a knock on his door.

"Go away, Daniel!"

"It's Mark. I have your bear."

"Just leave it outside the door."

"I can't do that. Rules."

"What rules?"

"You can't leave your bear alone unless it's napping in your room."

"Okay." Timothy said at last. He got up and went to the door. Mark took the opportunity to squeeze past the boy into his room. Timothy closed the door and took the bear from Mark. He was going to toss it on his bed but decided that since Mark had gone through the trouble of retrieving it for him, that would be rude. He sat on the bed and held the bear in his arms. After a few minutes of silence, Timothy spoke up.

"So, what happened after I left?"

"I don't know. I left at the same time."

"I suppose I'll probably get another bedtime story from Mr. Grinns."

"Naw, that only happens when you sass off to a grown-up. They don't care what happens between kids as long as nobody gets hurt."

"So, what now?"

"Look, I'm sorry I got you messed up like that. I didn't know."

Timothy gave his bear a hug.

"I guess I can say goodbye to the Pretzel Rod Club."

Mark sat down next to the boy. He put his hand on Timothy's shoulder.

"There are other clubs, you know."

"You mean like the model railroad club?"

He ignored Timothy's snarky remark. That club was Mark's favorite.

"There's the Teddy Bear Club."

"Teddy Bear Club?" Timothy was suddenly aware that he had been squeezing his bear extra tight. He set it down on the bed some distance away.

"Well, the official name is the Society for the Advancement of Teddy Bear Appreciation. SATBA."

"SATBA? That's a stupid name."

There was a hint of a smile when Timothy said that. Mark knew an opening when he saw one.

"Yeah, well, it was named by 9th graders so..."

"What's up with that?"

"I know, right? And the way..."

Mark and Timothy spent the rest of the afternoon comparing what they knew about 9th graders. Mark knew a lot of general things about them. Timothy knew enough from actually spending time with them to correct some of the misinformation that had become common knowledge within his age group by way of rumor and innuendo. By talking things out, Timothy began to understand Daniels's behavior a little more and that made him feel better.

They had been talking and lost track of time. Finally, there was a knock on the door. Mark went to answer it. It was from Daniel.

"Go away!" Mark said, blocking the door. Daniel craned his neck so he could see past the boy. Mark continued, "Timothy doesn't want to..."

"Let him in." Timothy said, trying to be as unemotional as possible. Mark hesitated but finally relented.

Daniel stood in front of Timothy, but just out of reach in case Timothy had mayhem on his mind.

"What are you doing here? Want to hold my cock again?"

Daniel winced but managed to retain his composure.

"Dinner's ready."

"I'm not hungry."

"I'm afraid it's required."

Timothy looked at Mark for confirmation. Mark nodded in agreement with Daniel, though at this point he was loath to agree with the boy about anything.

Timothy pursed his lips. There were many mean things he wanted to say but didn't. He still wasn't sure exactly on which side Mark's allegiance lied. Daniel stood silently while Timothy considered what had been said. The boy didn't budge. Finally, Daniel got down on one knee. He outstretched his right hand.

"Timothy, my dear, would you do me the honor of..." Timothy threw his teddy bear at him. Daniel dodged the furry projectile. "Come on, I really want you to sit with us. Mark, too." He said, getting up.

Timothy was still hot under the collar but with Mark being more than eager to join Daniel at the 9th grader's table, he relented, with conditions.

"Fine, but I'm not sitting next to you."

"Done."

"And I'm not bringing my bear."

"You'll look out of place if you don't."

Timothy stared at the boy.

"Fine, no teddy bear."

"And I get,...we both get," Timothy nodded towards Mark, "... to attend the Pretzel Rod
club meeting."

"I can't do that."

Timothy turned toward the wall. "Enjoy your dinner, traitor"

"I can't. It's out of my hands. Really. If I could, I would. Fur or no fur."

"Then I don't want you to go, either."

"Not go?" Daniel considered the implications of missing a meeting of the Pretzel Rod Club.

A deal was struck and the three boys went to dinner. They had to stop at Mark's room. Mark wasn't about to sit at the 9th grader's table without his bear at least, even if Timothy refused to.

Dinner was...awkward. Timothy sat at the far end of the table from Daniel. Mark was asking way too many questions of Darren and Mikey. They were getting more annoyed by the moment.

There was an empty chair next to Timothy, where his bear should have been. A fact that wasn't lost on Mr. Grinns, who did not look pleased. Daniel and Timothy exchanged hostile glances, and nobody ate much of anything. They left their desserts untouched.