Catharsis

Arriving to the covert weapons base, I land my jet on the top of the mountain this time and head downwards to enter the building. I know Killian's already here, the question is whether or not I've arrived too late or not.

Should I contact Lance? Would it be a good idea, or would it make things worse?

I've had enough time to think about all of this. Frankly, I've reached a point where I might not even care about being right anymore. Maybe, that obssession about being right is what gets us all in the violent mess that the world is today. Even if I do feel angry at the agency to a certain level, none of them deserve to meet such a sad fate, or to even live a wild, violent life. I'm sure Killian didn't deserve what happened to him either. Nobody deserves violence, nobody deserves to be a victim of anything.

But we have one side who suffered, the other side suffering something completely different. And both sides are fighting each other, and other people as well! Maybe the best way is to just... accept what happened. To make peace with it and to move on. If everyone did that, if everyone had the humility to be peaceful instead of being right, so many problems would cease. And that's not even sucking it up, or being submissive to anything. There's a large difference. Submitting changes nothing, accepting can bring us peace.

I arrive inside the main control room of the base, the one with the large window and all the screens, the one where Killian and I danced on our first night together. Where I realized he's also human, and it's precisely because I realized he's still human, that I'm not giving up on this.

I walk towards him, but am taken aback when I see him with a bottle of champagne in his hands. He sees me through the reflection of the window and I can make out that he's smirking. When he turns around, he continues to smile at me.

"Where did you get that?" I ask him with a soft chuckle.

Killian smirks back. "I'm full of surprises. But of course, you already know that."

I can't help but laugh at his suggestive tone. Killian holds out his right hand to me, offering to take me in his arms. I walk forward and take his hand, and he pulls me in closer to him.

"I suppose you could still surprise me even more," I tell him, partly as an innuendo, but also hoping he'll go back on the horrible thing he's about to do.

We both remain in silence if only just for a while, and then my eyes drift over to the champagne once more. 

"Are you really going to celebrate?" I ask him.

"Of course," he says with that same smirk. "And by all means, I want you to celebrate with me." He leans down and brushes my hair with his right hand, and he gently kisses my lips.

I sigh when he pulls away. "Don't make me do this," I say softly.

"Do what?"

"Be happy for you," I say. "When I know you're going to hurt so many people."

He sighs. He looks at me with a gleam of doubt, a doubt where I see hope that things may just be alright.

"Killian," I say softly, "you didn't deserve what happened to you. I didn't deserve what happened to me, and these people don't deserve what's coming to them. Now, you and I didn't have any power over what happened to us, but you have power over this. Call it off, please."

He lighty shakes his head. "No, Jean. I didn't have power over that, but someone did. Someone who didn't back down and had no mercy."

"And we're not getting any better by being mad at them," I walk up to him and hold his hand. "If we can make the best of what we have now, you'll see that if you let that go... well, it can do wonders."