Stalking

Yui was working the cashier that day. Normally she would be in stocking, however, one of her coworkers was absent today. This was a rare occasion for her, due to her stoic nature she hardly interacted with customers unless they needed to find something. The main reason she was hired was that she was good at handling the drunks that came by. 

Someone came up to the counter and she began to scan the groceries. "Well, well, funny seeing you here. Aren't you usually stocking items on the shelves?"

"Again Master, my offer of eating him alive is still open."

Yui looked up. There she saw Izaya with that devilish smirk on his face. She narrowed her eyes. "One of my coworkers was absent today." 

"Oh right, I believe his name was Haruto Higuchi."

"I assume you did your research and you already know my name," she responded as she continued to scan items.

"Look at you! You're so smart, Yu-chan."

"I'd prefer it that you call me by my actual name. Oh, and your total is 2,438 yen."

He swiped his card and she began to place his groceries in plastic bags. He began to speak again. "About your name, why would a daughter of the great Ichiro Nakanishi be in a place like this?"

Yui froze for a second. She took a deep breath. She then continued. "I came because I wanted to. It sounded interesting. My family was boring and they only spoiled me so they had leverage to have control over my life."

He continued. "It seems as if you were closest to your grandmother. When Haruhi Nakanishi left around 70% of her fortune to her favorite granddaughter. You also received that iconic choker you're wearing. Then you used the money to move out and pay your father back for everything he bought you so you didn't owe him anything. I have to say that was a smart move. Something that was also brought to my attention was the fact that even though you were the closest to her, you were the only one who didn't seem to mourn her when she died. Why is that?"

"You could say it was something she dreamt about. One of the things we talked about was the concept of death. Specifically what happened when we die. She wanted to see for herself. I admit I was dissapointed that she wasn't around anymore. Other than that, I was happy for her. She got her wish and saw death for herself." 

Yui handed Izaya his groceries and as he left he said. "I was right, you are one of the most interesting humans I've met. I have a feeling I'll enjoy having you around."

Over the course of the next few months, he spent most of his time stalking her. He gained every information on her he could and would often follow her. He would often show up randomly while she was working or on the street. It was clear he had taken a liking to her. Meanwhile, she found him rather infuriating. It became even more interesting when he decided to have her kidnapped just to see her reaction.

Flashback

Izaya knew Yui used an alleyway as a shortcut home, so he arranged for some thugs to kidnap her and then have her rescued by Celty. Of course, he didn't tell Celty that it was Yui because he knew she would kill him. 

He watched from a corner as one of the men grabbed her from behind and placed a cloth on her mouth. What he saw shocked him: her eyes became those same red snake eyes and a giant white snake appeared. All the men were killed. Yui looked at the snake and said, "Thank you, Orochi."

The snake simply replied. "Your welcome, if anything I'm happy to get a meal."

Izaya came out of his hiding spot clapping. "I'll admit I had a feeling you weren't entirely human, but I still wanted to see it for myself."

Yui glared at him. "Orochi . . ."

"Yes, master."

Izaya felt the snake's grip squeeze his body. "So this is the servant of the wearer of the Serpentine? Very impressive, Yuu-chan."

Orochi's grip tightened. Izaya grunted (that sound anime characters do like grr when their hurt). "C'mon Yu-chan, no need for that."

Yui stepped closer to him. "The fact that you're here and that recently you've been stalking me leads me to believe that you were the one who gave those kidnappers the information on me."

"That's right. You're so smart Yu-chan."

"Don't flatter me. There's a reason you sent them after me, isn't there?"

"Why yes, there was. I wanted to get a reaction out of you. The only thing I've seen so far is a blank face or a frown. So I got this idea: hey what would happen if she got kidnapped?"

"And let me guess, you arranged for Celty to rescue me?"

"Ding, ding, ding!"

She sighed. "Orochi . . ."

The snake let him go. It then shrunk and slithered it's way up to Yui's neck. It touched the choker and disappeared. She pulled out her phone and began texting someone. 

Text:

"Hey Celty"

"Hey Yui can we talk later, I'm doing a job right now"

"About that: those kidnappers were meant to kidnap me"

"WHAT?! That sneaky bastard! Never mind, are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine I had Orochi handle them. Were in that alleyway behind Russia Sushi so feel free to come and give him hell. Oh and bring Shizuo with you"

Real-life

"Who were you texting?"

"Just telling Celty she doesn't need to come to save me anymore."

"Oh really?"

"By the way, you should start running."

"Huh?"

Suddenly, he heard the loud roar of a motorcycle. Izaya turned around and saw Celty on her motorcycle seemingly glaring at him, and behind her was . . . SHIZUO!!

"IZAYAAAAA!!!!"

Flashback: End

Since that happened, Izaya made a point to annoy not just Yui but also Orochi. Unsurprisingly, this just made Orochi want to kill him even more now. Though through Izaya's pestering, Yui could see how lonely he really was. Besides being annoyed, she felt sorry for him and understood a part of what he felt. Before she began talking to her grandmother, she felt a similar type of loneliness. It wasn't one based on the fear of being hurt but based on the fact that none understood how she really felt and that there wasn't someone like her she could relate to. 

Izaya continued stalking her: following her home, showing up everywhere, observing her from a distance, etc. Every once in a while, he would send gangs, mafia members, and assassins after her. Each time they would end up dead, turned into stone, or braindead (soul deprived). Each time she would either have a blank expression or an annoyed one, which was clearly meant for Izaya. He especially enjoyed it when they talked. When she wasn't as mad at him, they would visit the topics Yui would visit with her grandmother: death, life, time, reality, purpose, etc. His favorite was when they talked about human nature: consequences, memory, emotions, personalities, etc. Anyone else would think she was crazy, but he loved it. 

History tends to repeat itself. Just like a conversation changed Yui's life, a conversation will change Izaya's life.