~Chapter 1~

~Chapter 1~"Tag! You're it!" Goldkit dashed out of the nursery and into the slippery clearing, little white puffs of snow flying from her paws as she shot away from Havockit. "Hey! No fair, you got a head start!" hissed the tom-kit playfully, scampering after her.
Goldkit looked over her shoulder with a grin. "You'll never catch me!" she laughed. Turning around, she began to skid to a halt, noticing Ashfoot limping to the nursery. She was being helped along by the medicine cat, FlareEyes. The old she-cat's muzzle was flecked with gray hairs, and her eyes were dull with age. Her apprentice, Leafblaze, scurried after them, shivering in the cold breeze. Ashfoot's belly was plump with her kits. "Her kits must be coming." Havockit said, his tail lifted in excitement. "I wonder if we'll get to help name them!" squeaked Goldkit. She fluffed up her golden-ginger tabby pelt against the chilled breeze and raced to the nursery. When she entered, Glowkit, her brother, was chatting with Havockit's sister. "Can you believe it, Lightpaw? There'll be more kits to play with in the nursery!" he said excitedly, his pale ginger tail flicking. "Not until they're old enough, young one." Ambershade said gently. Ambershade was Goldkit and Glowkit's mother. Goldkit's ears perked when she heard Ashfoot's moans of pain. "The kits are actually coming!" Goldkit mewed. Her brother was quivering with excitement. "Get her a stick." FlareEyes ordered Leafblaze, but the white she-cat was already flouncing back over with a thick stick in her jaws. She gave it to Ashfoot, murmuring something that was too soft for Goldkit to hear. She watched in awe as the medicine cats worked with unbelievable skill and grace, being gentle and staying calm. Before she knew it, three healthy little balls of fur were huddled at their mother's belly. A loud purr rumbled in Ashfoot's throat. She looked up at Goldkit and beckoned her to come closer, exhausted. "I noticed that you seemed interested in helping with the naming of one of these kits?" she said, smiling. Goldkit's ears flicked nervously, and she looked back at her mother for approval. She nodded. Goldkit walked up to the kits. She widened her bright green eyes, amazed that she had just witnessed new life being brought into the forest. "Y-yes, I would like to help name one." she said quietly. She inspected the three tiny bundles of fur. One was a dark gray tom with black stripes, and white paws and tail tip. He seemed to be the smallest. Another was a white she-kit with patches of different shades of gray on her pelt. Her tail was strange; It was gray, but it faded as it got closer to the tip. Her chest and front paws were light gray. The last was a plain smokey-gray she-cat, except for her single black ear. Goldkit looked back to the white she-kit, her little flanks rising and falling as she breathed. "Maybe we could name that one... Shadekit."