Chapter Two • Sound of Silence

Start from the beginning

I wonder if she's right because that man Abidah had made us accidentally and awkwardly meet at the store was indeed African but I couldn't make out if he was Nigerian or not. He was tall and there was a weight in his eyes that I almost felt like I couldn't carry. I had panicked when I lost Abidah in the store and after finding her with him, all sorts of thoughts started running in my head. One which involved him being a kidnapper who was going to stuff my little baby into his coat and go sell her in an underworld black market.

Yes I know that was exaggerated and dramatic but a mother's love is just that paranoid when it comes to her child's security. Hence why I looked at him with a strong hostility at first but then something about him changed my mind. He had looked too decent and gentle to be the big bad evil man my mind had painted him as. And he did look like he was going to be an awesome father.

My heart saddens when I remember how someone I know had failed at being just that and that is when my sunken face rises up at feeling Abidah's tap on my lap.

"Mummy, there's a knock on the door." she signs. My daughter was mute but she wasn't deaf, she could hear everything and I thank Allah for that everyday even if Abdulhadi doesn't see that as a blessing.

"Okay let me go see who's at the door?" I smile and kiss her on the cheek before standing up.

I cover my hair back up with my veil as I walk to the door and when I open it, I meet a pleasant surprise that gladdens my heart.

"Bunmi?"

"The one and only!" My best friend grins excitedly and flashes two white polythene bags at my face.

"What's that? You brought us dinner?" I collect the bags and take her by the hand, leading her into the kitchen.

"Yeah, I figured with all this going on, you won't have time to make anything to eat." Bunmi pulls out one of the island stools and sits down while I also follow her suit and settle the bags on the counter.

"You're right, I even forgot to completely," I rest my head on my hands and pull back my hair in an attempt to calm my nerves.

"Babe," Bunmi's gentle palm rubs circles on my back, "Everything's going to be alright."

"Why is that so hard to believe?"

"It's not..." she insists, "You just need to hold on in there, it'll all pass soon enough."

"Really?" I know I sound like a child, but it was because I felt like one. I just needed all the assurance and support I could get right now.

Bunmi's nod was slow, her eyes reflecting a conviction and honesty that would have convinced me if not for the fact that I had grown into a pessimist.

"Where's Abidah?" she looks around, "With her toys again?"

I nod, "That's where she always is these days."

"God, the girl is only five Amina but it's so obvious she's so hurt by all this." Bunmi exclaims in pity, "Didn't that devil at least consider that he had a daughter with special needs before cheating on you and leaving you for that whore?"

"Bunmi." I warn, rolling my eyes.

"What? What'd I say wrong?" she protests. "If I were you, I would have sued his ass and fought tooth and nail demanding my alimony. That scum, it shall never be well with him. I pray that whore stran-"

"Bunmi please, enough!" I stop her before she goes too far but but she only rolls her eyes and continues.

"Here we go again, typical Amina. So ready to roll herself out and let herself be a door mat. You're really going to allow that man to step all over you?"