Chapter 4: A failed assignment pt.2

Start from the beginning

"No.... I failed.... who on earth is going to know a bunch of random information on soil?" I crossed my arms.

"Um... me." Scott said.

"Okay. Aside from you. I officially hate soil horizon's."

"Um... It's not that bad. I'm sure Mr.Riggs is going to give out another test sooner or later. I can help. I-if you want." Scott offered.

"Sure.... I guess." I heavily sighed." I haven't failed a test since 3rd grade."

"3rd grade?! Wow. That's.... outstanding."

"Unlike this test grade." I said, putting the test in my folder.

"Okay class you guys have the rest of the period to yourselv-" Mr. Riggs started but the classrooms phone rang.

Mr. Riggs walked over and answered the phone.

"Hello? .... Yeah she's here.... you want me to send her there?... okay. Alright. Cool. I'll write her pass... yep you're very welcome." Mr. Riggs hung up.

He headed to his desk and pulled out a hall pass. I am so embarrassed. I can't believe I failed that test.

That was pathetic.... okay. Show some confidence Courtney.... don't cry over a failed test. Like Scott said... there will be more test.

Suddenly Mr. Riggs handed me a slip of paper.

"You know where Mr. West's room is, right?"

"Y-yeah. I do."

"Good. Head there. He needs you for something."

"Oh... um.. okay." I said, getting up from my desk.

"Take your things with you too. Chances are the period will be over before you get back."

"Okay." I answered.

I picked up my bookbag and headed out of the class and entered the hallway. At least I'm out of that embarrassing setting.

I still can't believe me, Courtney Barlow, straight A student failed a test. Okay, I really need to get my mind off of that.

I can probably still pass the quarter with a 90%. Or maybe a 95% if I try extra hard. I arrived at Mr. West's room.

His door was open. I walked in.

"Um. Mr. West?" I asked." Um, I was called here?"

"Ah. Courtney Barlow. My Star student."

"The one and only. How can I help you?" I asked with a smile.

"You seem to really be good with Geometry. You participate very often in my class. I need your help with something."

"Sure. What is it? Grading papers?" I guessed.

"Well... no. Do you think you can stay after school to help tutor some of my students? A fair amount of students have a failing grade in my class and I don't have any other ideas."

"I guess I could try. What if the person I'm tutoring doesn't understand after I explain the substance?"

"Then I'll step in. Don't worry, if things get out of hand with the student I'll step in. Plus, I'll give you extra credit and community service hours for helping."

"Oh? Okay!"

"Cool. We have about 9 minutes until tutoring starts. We're going to be starting on two colum proofs. Think I can briefly explain them?"

"Sure." I nodded.

+

Mr. West briefly explained two columns proofs. I reviewed this before I actually started this year so I caught on fast and demonstrated that I understood the substance.

The bell for 7th period rang.

"Okay Courtney. See those desk over there?" Mr. West pointed." Go sit there and I'll give you someone to tutor. Take this sheet. I'm gonna briefly introduce the substance to those that arrive. You take that time to do the sheet yourself. The person you tutor will have a matching sheet. All you do is help the student with each problem."

"Got it. Sounds easy enough." I grinned.

I headed to the deak Mr. West assigned. I started making the two column proofs. Pretty easy. A few students arrived.

I noticed a very familiar face. My eyes widened a bit when I realized who I might be tutoring.

Scott's POV(12 minutes ago)

Courtney was told by Mr. Riggs that Mr. West needed her for something. It reminded that I have tutoring today after school.

He said it counts as extra credit. Hopefully that tutoring gets me the point I need to at least pass the class.

But I don't want a 60%. What would Courtney think? N-not that it matters what she thinks. I mean, I'm here to please myself not her.

But.... maybe it'll motivate me to do better.

"So, are you and Courtney really dating?" I heard Heather ask from behind me.

I turned around in my chair.

"No. W-what made you think that?"

"You're kidding right? Maybe the, 'you're pretty when your mad' thing made me think it." Heather smirked.

"W-well. We're just friends."

"You like her. Admit it. I wasn't born yesterday. I can tell."

I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms as Heather continued to smirk. I turned around and looked back down at my test paper.

If I can ace this, maybe Geometry won't be too bad. I watched the clock tick by. When there were only two minutes left of class, I packed up.

The bell rung. I put my bag over both of my shoulders and started making my way to Mr. West's room.

I headed in. Me, and Mike were the only ones that came. I then noticed Courtney sitting at a desk writting.

My heart practically jumped out of my chest. She looked up at me in shock and then looked back at her paper.

An: And it ends there. I wanted to get this out yesterday but it is what it is.