Chapter 5: An Unwanted Surprise

Alastor awoke to the sun as it shined in his eyes. He had never noticed that there was sun in hell before. There isn't a sun in hell. He got up and looked at his surroundings. There was an empty white void, followed by perfect, fluffy, white clouds. He noticed that he was alone. Charlie had disappeared from his lap and he knew he wasn't in the garden anymore.

"Hello, Alastor," a voice said behind him. He quickly turned. An angel hovered behind him, her wings spread out like an eagle's. He waved in confusion and she chuckled.

"This is heaven. But you do not belong here. I've brought you here because I've sensed a sign of distress in you. What seems to be troubling you," she asked. Alastor couldn't believe it. This empty but beautiful void was heaven? A serial killer like him actually got to see it?

"I-I don't know what's troubling me. Something just is," he lied. The angel frowned.

"Lies don't deceive me, Alastor. I can't read your mind, but I can see that you're lying in your eyes," she told him, leaning closer to him. He gulped but refused to show fear.

"I...it's because I've started working with some giant overlord. He's been telling me to overthrow the king. But the only way to do that is to marry his daughter," Alastor explained, embarrassed.

The angel shook her head. "You're using one of your friends," she sighed.

Alastor was shocked. Sure, that's what it sounded like. But he wasn't using her. He loved Charlie more than anything. Nothing else mattered besides her.

"B-But I'm not pretending to love her," he panicked.

The angel's expression turned into confusion. "If you are planning to overthrow the king-," she began.

"But I'm deciding I won't! If I do, it will hurt Charlie. And I don't want to do that," he interrupted the angel.

The angel remained silent for a long moment. But then she grinned. Alastor was confused. What was funny?

"The girl has made you soft," she laughed. Alastor wanted to deny it but he knew he could not. The angel was right. Charlie had made Alastor soft. But he liked it. He liked the feeling of having friends, having people who didn't completely hate him!

The angel chuckled. "Well, it looks like this talk made progress. Make good choices, Alastor. Maybe one day you'll end up here," her voice trailed off as the world became blurry until heaven faded into darkness.

****

Alastor yawned, his back numb from leaning against the fountain. Charlie still snored soundly and Alastor smiled. He hugged her and heard a small yawn. Charlie's black eyes opened beautifully and she returned his hug. "Good morning, my dear," Alastor cooed. Charlie rubbed her eyes. 

"Morning," she said wearily. She got up from Alastor's lap and helped him up from the floor. Alastor took her hand and they walked into the hotel. They both sat on the couch, not saying a word. The hotel was perfectly quiet. That is, until a loud knock came to the door. Charlie got up lazily and opened the door. She gasped. Her parents!

"Mom, D-Dad, what are you guys doing here," she asked nervously. To be perfectly honest, she was scared of her parents. They were so intimating and she was scrawny and small.

Her mother smiled. "We have special news," she squealed. Alastor peered at the king, who frowned back. Though they had never met before, the king had something against Alastor.

"O-Oh? What is it," Charlie asked. Her mother grabbed her arm and dragged her to the nearby mirror. 

"Me and your father have found a demon that is perfect for you! We've decided to follow old tradition and have an arranged marriage for you," she said excitedly. Charlie's heart sank so quickly that it almost hurt. She looked at Alastor in her peripheral vision. He looked both shocked and mad.

"Well, darling, we should be going," the king smiled, looking away from Alastor for the first time. The queen hugged her daughter before they both gracefully walked out of the hotel lobby. The door shut loudly, seeming to shake the whole hotel.

Charlie seemed lifeless. She had to marry someone she didn't even know? She felt as if she was on the verge of tears. She felt Alastor wrap his arms around her as the first droplet fell from her eyes. She turned to look at him and began to sob. Her tears smeared over Alastor's jacket but he didn't care. The decision was unfair and outrageous. 

"This can't be h-happening," Charlie sniffled. Alastor stroked her head, her soft hair twisting in his fingertips. 

"Unfortunately, but that doesn't mean that you have to," Alastor smiled doubtfully. He tried his best to make her happy but he failed. The queen and king had declared it. And when they declared something, there was no further discussion. 

What should I do?