Chapter 3: The Celebration Party

Charlie opened the door, catching every demon's attention. She froze. The reporter she had fist-fighted was there, along with her comrades. But instead of laughing, every demon cheered. She heard them chanting her name along with the clapping and whistling. She looked up at the balcony. Alastor crouched down and snapped his fingers. A podium appeared in a red puff of smoke, along with a microphone. The demons encouraged a speech in the audience.

Charlie breathed deeply before poking the microphone. "Hello, everyone. Welcome to the Hazbin Hotel. The first of it's kind. We are ready to invite all of you in and get you all a room," she explained. The cheering continued as Angel Dust and Vaggie opened the hotel doors. The crowed scrambled into the lobby, which was perfectly clean. Courtesy of Nifty.

Charlie and the others piled in afterwards. Charlie laughed at Husk, who seemed overwhelmed by all the demons requesting a room. Luckily, in a matter of minutes, every demon that was in the lobby had been given a room key and had either gone to their rooms or sat to talk in the lobby. 

Charlie almost felt like crying. Her dream was coming true. And she knew it was all thanks to Alastor. She quickly walked off to go find him to thank him for all he had done. The hallways were completely empty, except for the distant mumbling from inside the hotel rooms. But there was no sign of her radio demon friend. She walked back towards the lobby, hoping that Alastor would eventually join them there.

*****

Alastor sat on the floor of the roof, leaning against the back of the hotel sign. He sighed in guilt and reached for the beeping cell phone in his pocket. The caller ID was familiar and Alastor clicked the button and held the phone to his ear. 

"I heard that the hotel's popularity blew up today. Your scene caused a big ruckus. Did you gain the girl's trust," the voice asked on the other end. Alastor sighed, a huge frown on his usually happy face. "Yes I did," he said guiltily.

All he heard was laughing before the caller hung up on him. Suddenly, the door to the roof opened. Alastor looked towards the door. Angel Dust was there. "There you are, radio boy. The princess was looking for you," he gestured towards the inside of the hotel. Alastor put on a fake smile and got up from his seat. He followed Angel Dust down the stairs and into the lobby. Charlie and Vaggie waited there patiently.

"There you are, Alastor! I was looking everywhere for you! I was worried something had happened to you," Charlie told him, her teeth crossing her face with a relieved smile. Alastor felt guilty as he looked at her. She was so innocent. But he still used her. He sighed but smiled anyway. He noticed the huge crowd of nicely-dressed demons in the lobby and outside near the pool.

"What's all this," he asked. Vaggie scoffed at him and walked off. Charlie pouted. "This is the celebration party for the grand opening of the Hazbin Hotel! Courtesy of Angel Dust and Nifty," she explained. Alastor looked down at Charlie's ball gown. It was a beautiful black with lace at the hem and around the neck. He blushed.

Suddenly, Husk appeared behind him. "Hey, Alastor. I need to talk to you," he said, grabbing Alastor's arm. He began pulling Alastor towards the corner of the room. Charlie stared at them walking away before she got pulled away by Vaggie. Husk crossed his arms around his chest, a huge grin crossing his face. "What," Alastor asked, noticing his happy remark.

Husk laughed. "You like the princess," he said. It wasn't a question. Alastor felt his face flush a tomato red and he turned away. 

"No! No I don't! Besides, who would love the radio demon back," he asked, not making eye-contact. Husk chuckled. 

"Her, obviously. Don't you see how she acts around you. Totally flustered," Husk said. Alastor processed this statement.

"O-Okay...but so what if I do," he said, finally looking back at his friend.

Husk laughed. "You tell her, you ding-dong. She clearly likes you back so go for it," he elbowed Alastor, making him smile. While he was still unsure, Alastor decided that Husk was right. After all, he did have more experience with love than Alastor did. He looked at Charlie from the other side of the room who was being lectured by Vaggie in the distance.

****

Vaggie pouted as Charlie pulled herself away from her grasp. "You have been acting weird all night! What is going on with you," Vaggie asked in anger. Charlie thought to herself, trying to find a good excuse for the real reason. Before she could answer, Vaggie spoke up.

"Actually, I know what's happening. You're falling for the radio demon," she explained. Charlie blushed. Was it that obvious?

"M-Maybe," was all she said. Vaggie's mouth gaped open at her response. 

"You can't! He's pure evil! He's only here to destroy everything," she yelled quietly to avoid attention. 

Charlie was more angry than scared. She had always been bossed around and never made her own decisions. But today, she wouldn't let Vaggie stop her from something she truly wanted.

"I'm tired of people trying to tell me what's best for me! I know what's best for me," she screamed angrily. Vaggie seemed shocked that Charlie had screamed at her but Charlie didn't care. She stormed away past the crowds of demons, who would sometimes stop her to say that it was a great party. 

She would thank them and keep walking. Eventually, she reached the quiet garden. No demons were there and she could actually vent in peace. She sat down and leaned against the fountain, tiny droplets hitting her head every now and then.

"Why must I have such a temper? Vaggie is probably really upset right now! And worse, I already know that he doesn't love me back," she told herself, almost on the verge of tears. The first drop appeared from her eyes, followed by another and another.

Five minutes passed of being alone. Charlie felt calmer than before but not a little bit happier. She had always thought that she hadn't deserved to be here. That it was only because she was born here. But now she thought that she was just as terrible as everyone else here.

****

The garden was dark and quiet. The flowers were black and beautiful, pink and bright. Alastor sniffed every black one as he walked along the hedges. He noticed a fountain at the center of it all. Charlie sat there, tears flooding down her cheeks and shimmering in the moonlight. He walked over and sat on the fountain without her noticing.

"Not having fun, I see," he said, shocking Charlie. She stared up at him and wiped her eyes. She put on a fake smile.

"No, I'm having a great time. So great...just great," she gave up on faking. Alastor scooched closer to her and wrapped his long arm around her shoulder.

"Don't cry. You are never fully dressed without a smile," he told her, wiping her cheeks.