Chapter 9 - Human-Like

Start from the beginning

We pulled away from the hug and looked at each other, “I don’t care.”

“You need to.”

“If you can handle it then so can I.”

“I need to protect you.”

“Carter, how can I get hurt? Think about it, how?”

He stroked my hair, leaving his hand on my head, “You’ve got a point.”

“So what should I bring?” I asked him.

“Just necessities. My aunt and uncle will be happy to meet you.”

“Good.”

“I have to go. It’s hard enough to get through there as it is. I’ll meet you here on Friday at four.”

“Okay,” I smiled, “See you then.”

“Goodnight gorgeous.”

            He put his hands on both sides of my face and kissed me. It felt just like it did the first time. We were completely lost in time. He held me tighter making me smile and deepened the kiss a little more.

“Goodnight,” I smiled.

We let go and he went up to the balcony, disappearing before my eyes. I turned around and walked home. I snuck inside and went to my room without my mom noticing. I put on shorts and a t-shirt before taking off my wig and getting into bed. I laid there before falling asleep thinking about Carter. I wonder where he is and if he’s thinking of me too. I smiled at the thought of the entire day and slowly fell asleep.

“Lily Allen Carter!”

            I woke up to my mom yelling and I shot up from my bed. When I finally opened my eyes, mom was holding my wig. My hands went to my head and my eyes got really big when I realized why she was yelling.

“Lily Allen Carter! Would you like to explain this wig to me?!”

“Uh… well… mom, I just – “

“You were faking it?!”

“I really did plan on coloring it that day. I just couldn’t do it so Brittany and I bought a wig instead.”

“Everything’s a joke to you isn’t it? You just had to prove me wrong once again.”

“I just wanted to do something different,” I said.

“Not everything can be fun all the time Lily. I’m burning this wig. You can go back to being ordinary.”

“Mom that’s not what I meant.”

“Get ready for school,” she muttered before leaving my room.

            I stood up from my bed and went to the bathroom. I took a shower and got dressed. I put on more make up than usual and dressed a lot nicer hoping I wouldn’t get too many comments about my hair. I grabbed my bag and left my room. Mom was in the living room watching TV. I walked out the door without saying a word. Brittany was waiting for me on the sidewalk like always. She looked shocked at first and I just waited for her to speak.

“I was going to ask why you were late, but I think I know.”

“I forgot that I took my wig off last night and didn’t put it back on. Mom had it in her hands when I woke up.”

“Oh no. She didn’t give it back?”

I shook my head, “She even said she was going to burn it.”

“Wow,” Brittany said, “She must have been really mad.”

“She was. I don’t know how to fix this one. She thinks I’m so immature and just want to prove her wrong.”