Chaprer 5

After more than a decade later, Rance and Maia arrived, by railroad, in the bustling town of Perseverance. It was his first time back in the town since he disappeared that fateful night as a kid. With a newly born, it was time to right the previous wrongs. The town had grown into a bustling cow town. He was happy that the townsfolk didn't recognised him. It would make things easier. After a night at the hotel, they rented a horse and buggy, and drove out to Perseverance Ranch, RR as the townsfolk called it. It was the biggest ranch in the county. The town had been named after it. All the land around, including the town was owned by the ranch.

Rance was nervous. Maia had convinced him that it was the right thing to do. He didn't need their money. He was a very wealthy man and he had received a pardon from the state governor.

After their escape from the posse, Rance, accompanied by Maia and Tells The Truth, handed himself in to the marshall in Sweetwater Crossing. Maia had made sure that the the old warrior received the reward, much to the annoyance of her fellow officers. Rance's trial had been brief. Most of the incriminating witnesses were part of the posse that had mysteriously vanished. He served his sentence in Yuma Territorial Prison. His prison term was reduced to ten years, due to good behaviour. Maia and the old warrior had been waiting for him when he stepped outside the prison gates. He had been frogmarched to the nearest church and married off to Maia. Tells The Truth had waited too long and had take matters into his own hands.

Rance adjusted his holster as they reached the ranch gates. He looked over at Maia, who gave him a reassuring and sparkling smile.

A young Hispanic boy came running and took the reins.
"Buenos dias, Senior. Can I look after your horses?"
"Buenos dias, Niño. Would you look after this baby, too? We won't be long."

Rance, tossing the boy a silver dollar. He saw the cowhands lazily come out of the bunkhouse, curious to see the black couple who were visiting the colonel.

The front door opened. An elderly man limped out, aided by a walking stick. His right arm was missing. Rance helped Maia down. She rearranged her dress and, hand-in-hand, they walked towards the old man. He didn't greet them. He turned around and limped into the house. Rance and Maia followed. The rancher led them to his smoking room and gestured to them to sit.

"Would you like something to drink?" he asked in a commanding voice.

Maia shook her head.

"No, thank you," Rance responded.

"What do you want, Rance? I heard you had surfaced after all these years. Very brave of you to return."

Rance looked at the old man with disgust and sadness. He stood up. "The only reason I'm here, Colonel, is because of Maia, here. Remember her? Mr. Jonas's daughter. Remember him? The Negro blacksmith that you had flogged for stealing and then you fired him, hoping that his wife, whom you coveted, would leave him and her daughter for you. But, you underestimated Wears Red. She would never leave her family because it is the Lakota way. As for Mr. Jonas, well he recovered and had a good business with his livery, in Sweetwater Crossing. Did very well for himself. But you wouldn't stop, and you had Maia's mother killed. I know who killed her. You tried to blame me. Made it look like it was me, but you never counted on the crazy old Irish coot."

"So, what the hell are you doing here, nigger?"

Rance clenched his fists. "I know you are in financial ruins. Your friends in town deserted you, once they heard my story at my trial. The reason why I'm here is to tell you that I have bought all your lousy stinking debt, including this ranch. From today, this ranch will be called Rocking J, and from tomorrow, it will be run by that Lakota, whom you used to abuse. I have sold him a chunk of Perseverance for a dollar."

"You god damn, nigger! I should have tossed you overboard like we used to do to your useless kind."

"Yes, you should have. You were my father's best friend. A distinguished colonel from America, buying diamonds from the African natives. They were so impressed by you that they entrusted you with my upbringing, in America. They wanted me to be an educated African. They gave you my family inheritance in trust. I found the diamond necklace that you sold. You betrayed them. But, they died knowing I was alive and well. They forgave you. And that is why nothing will happen to you. I promised them that. Unlike you, I keep my word. I have been to jail for my crimes, but I will never regret what I did to your whipping hand and that kicking foot of yours. My only regret is that I didn't pull out your evil heart, when I had the chance." Rance looked at the colonel. He was not surprised by the cripple's expression.

"I see you smirk, Colonel. You think that you will receive a gift of my woolly scalp from Hawk, whom you corrupted, and who killed his own female cousin." Rance gave him his killer mile. "The old warrior took his young braves to count coup on your posse. Keep smirking, Colonel. The next time I see you will be when the undertaker is about to seal your coffin to be buried in an unmarked grave. I will be the last person to see your face. I was never your house boy. I was and am your equal. I know where I come from. I know who my people are. We come from the line of Lion of Judah. We were civilised when your ancestors were still living in caves."

Rance turned to Maia. "It is time, Little Thunder."
She stood up and walked out in front of her husband.

After the young boy had handed her the bundle of baby, Maia thanked him graciously with a peck on the cheek. Rance helped her up onto the buggy seat and tossed a silver dollar in the air as the boy handed him the reins. The boy caught the coin as deftly as he had done with the first one.

"What's your name, Niño? Who are your folks?"

"I'm called Tico. I have been looked after by them," he replied, pointing at the bunkhouse without looking back. Rance noticed the bruises on his arms.

"Hop on, Niño. Time for a new life. This beautiful lady is Maia and I am Rance, short for Perseverance. Today, we all start afresh."