Chapter 31: Sneaking Out

Beginne am Anfang

Connor dropped his feet onto the ground and they stumbled together, in the middle of the brown brick roads. Emily straightened her skirt and looked around.

"Connor you ought to bring me back! I've got lessons, you idiot!" she scowled at him, annoyed.

"Miss perfect, you've got to relax some time. Stop pushing yourself with studies," he pulled her along to a restaurant,"Want to eat here? I'm a bit tired with the food at the Great Hall."

"Sure," she sighed gave him a small smile and the bell chimed as they came in. The waitress waved her wand lazily and porcelain plates floated to their table.

"Let's try the cakes here. I heard their excellent!" he ordered a few slices and some sugar tea.

"Honestly.. There's not a student here, Connor. They only come here on weekends," she reminded him.

"I know. We have the whole place for ourselves," he winked and gaped at the cake that the waitress had served.

It was strawberry flavoured with little vanilla cream spread on it like snow. It also had a few strawberries scattered on it, a smiley face decorated on the plate with chocolate cream.

He pushed the plate to her as she was staring at it for so long.

Emily felt a bit bad. "Er..I don't like strawberry.." she quickly said.

"Don't lie. It's your favourite flavour, isn't it?" he grinned.

She parted her mouth a little. "H-how'd you know? I never really told anyone before. Except for one person.." Emily looked away.

"Oh I eavesdropped on someone.. Don't worry I have all the money we could have."

"Thanks," she smiled gratefully and took the fragile plate, eating it with a metal spoon.

"Hey, you've got yourself a new beard," Connor laughed. She wiped her mouth furiously with her handkerchief, embarrassed.

More cakes came and they shared our everything. Her mind suddenly flew to that night, where they were being so pathetic, cleaning trophies when everyone's in their comfortable beds.
He had wanted to ask her out, didn't he?

"Hey.. Remmeber that night when we had detention together?" she asked with a mouth full of creamy chocolate.

Connor sipped his tea, "Mhm? We had three months of detention after the crash land... Which night?"

Emily kicked her legs beneath the table. She was getting nervous. "When we were cleaning trophies.. Tom interrupted you when you were saying something, remember? You wanted to ask me out.."

Connor stared at her, and for a brief moment he looked more nervous than Emily. It didn't last long as he broke into a chuckle. "Oh! I remember! I didn't really mean it, I was joking."

"But! But you said that you wanted to show your true feelings -"

"What I meant was - that you're a really good friend and I really enjoy your accompany," he emphasized every word and continued to eat the slice of lemon cake.

"Then why did you asked if I liked Tom?"

"Just curious," Connor replied with a short answer. Emily nodded her head and ate in silence after that, only the sound of spoons and plates clanking against each other.

After he paid the waitress who came to collect thirty sickles, much to her delight, they dashed out to the little shop at the end of the road.

"Hey - see that ice cream shop? It's multiflavoured! But it's quite expensive - I don't have enough wizarding money for it."

"Then why are we even planning to eat it?" Emily pulled his robes, forcing him to stay rooted at the spot.

"When I don't have enough money - you know what I do?"

She eyed him suspiciously. "What?"

"I steal. Come on, it'll be fun!" he pulled her along and ducked under some carriages.

"No! You'll be in trouble for doing such things! Even if your father is one of the minister's best friend you shouldn't be doing this!"

Connor smiled. "I'm meant to break rules. See there? The owner is going to go to that shop. You'll wait here - alright? I'll be back soon -" and he ran forward, leaving Emily hiding behind the carriage.

"Wait! I-" she sighed, craning her neck to check on him.

For a few minutes, there was absolute silence and he scared Emily when he came sprinting by, holding two large ice cream in his hands.

"You! You little piece of scum! It's the fourth time for the month! You!" the owner screamed helplessly, but the both of them had went away behind the walls.

They finally stopped, and Emily clutched onto her knees, gasping for air. Connor grinned widely and handed her an ice cream which she gladly accept.

"You actually stole it! I -I-" she huffed, her hand almost crushing the biscuit.

"Don't worry.. It'll be fine!"

They sat on a bench and she licked it quickly. Connor turned his head to look at her, "Good isn't it? Told you!"

She didn't replied. It tasted so good. The sun was starting to set when they had finished it. Connor took her back to Hogwarts, landing onto the quidditch pitch once more.

They walked quietly passed the halls, no one in sight as they were probably all in their dormitories.

"See? Everything's fine now. No one knows," he whispered to her, feeling proud. Emily didn't felt reassured. It's like there was always someone watching her all the time - whatever she did, whatever she said, and even whatever she felt.

"I don't think so... Any professors would noticed that we've been gone for so long!"

"But there isn't -"

"Ah, the both of you. Going somewhere?"

"Oh Merlin. Why does he have to appear when we are together?" he hissed softly at Emily, then turned around to face Tom.

"We were just heading back to our common room," Connor spoke bravely, trying to sound as firm as he could.

Tom approached to them, glancing at Emily's uncomfortable expression. "Really? Gone for the past few lessons.. I'm sure you just came back from wherever you are.."

"Nonsense. If you don't mind us, we're going back," Connor grabbed her wrist and hurried along but Tom pulled Emily back with her other hand.

"Not so fast.." he suddenly wiped Connor's robes with his forefinger and inspect the white cream on it.

"Both of you went to Hogesmade, didn't you?"

"How did you know by just -" he started and closed his mouth abruptly.

"So you've admit it. Why am I not surprise? Connor Marshall.. You've probably broke more than half of the school rules in your years at Hogwarts. Won't your mommy be disappointed, hm?"

"Don't speak of my mom. At least my moments had been memorable.. We really should be going," he grabbed hold of Emily's hand again but Tom was quick enough to snatch it back and pulled her to his side.

"I'll make sure you won't be going with her. And I'll report you, Marshall. Dear Emily here is on her way to becoming a prefect - she would appreciate if you hadn't ruined the chance for her."

He scowled deeply and Emily saw his fists clenched tightly by his sides. Why had she been quiet this whole time? Say something, you idiot! She scolded herself, but she remained silent, her voice stuck in her throat again.

"Now go along.." Tom shooed him away and glance at the girl beside him.

"You're as dumb as a cow..."

"Sorry," she squeaked, watching Connor's figure becoming smaller.

Tom smiled a bit. He liked seeing her being shy. "I've got notes for you. I'll hand it to you tomorrow.. Goodnight," he patted her soft hair and went down a floor. He reminded himself that he should tell the headmaster that he should give Connor double detention, all alone by himself.