xiv. the real you

Start from the beginning

          "She died, Alfred," Batman replied with a bit of condolences. "Dissipating the toxin took her life."

          "Oh, now I see. Her last act was very noble."

          Olivia stood up. "We need to find Scarecrow and stop him. Do you have any clues?"

          "Nothing concrete, mistress Wayne, but they might have something at the station. I'll try to contact Mr. Eisley for more information," Alfred replied. "They are investigating an encrypted transmission that was sent over a SWAT channel in the city."

          "It's suspicious, because I haven't seen any team of SWAT agents deployed," the blonde declared looking at Batman.

          "We will go to the GCPD," the Dark Knight announced. "Thanks, Alfred."

          As the transmission was cut off, both vigilantes fired their hooks away from the large plant, the creepy voice of the Scarecrow echoing through the streets of Gotham City, declaring a message of revenge: "You really think you won, don't you, Batman? Enjoy the illusion of victory. Perhaps the Arkham Knight fled, but his army answers to me!"

          They both headed for the Batmobile, which reached their location at high speed, then entered it and drove toward the police station. Along the way, Olivia tried to contact Atlas a few times, but failed to make any contact with him - so she preferred to contact Tim, who must have been at the movie studios. When the boy didn't respond, Olivia frowned.

          "Huh, Tim isn't answering."

          "Tim is in solitary confinement...and having a rough time."

          Olivia felt a lump in her throat.

          "I told him what happened with Barbara," He snapped after a long silence.

          "And that's why you locked him up?"

          Batman didn't reply.

          That silence answered all the questions his protégé had.

          The Batmobile entered the GCPD underground parking door, where they continued on their way until Bruce stopped the vehicle in front of the underground staff access door. The two entered silently, passing cells filled with criminals and a few militiamen from the Arkham Knight regime. They went to the office section, where Agent Cash greeted them, directing them to proceed to the broadcast office. There they encountered two officers, one unlocking his weapon and the other sitting at a computer. Olivia approached the second.

          "I guess you're the one who saw the transmission," she stated kindly. "Tell us what you know."

          "I wish I could, miss, but it's on a SWAT channel," the agent replied before pointing to the computer. "It's encrypted, these people don't want anyone to listen to them."

          Batman approached and the agent stepped aside, watching as the Dark Knight skillfully punched the buttons. Within seconds, the image of Commissioner Jim Gordon appeared on the screen, clearly speaking. "That's it."

          "Hennelly? Can you hear me?" I am Jim. I need you to send me some plans. I found Crane and I'm going to kill that fucking son of a bitch for what he did to my little girl."

          Olivia looked at her mentor with wide eyes. "Now what the hell is he doing? Does he want to get killed?"

          "Probably," Batman said and looked at the agent. "We have the ID number on his radio, we'll trace him." He looked at Olivia. "Did you manage to contact Phantom?"