viii. the arkham what?

TWO SOULS,
chapter eight: the arkham what!

          GETTING TO THE CLOCK TOWER WASN'T COMPLICATED. The two vigilantes shot their hooks toward high points in the tower and climbed silently. Upon finding themselves on the roof, Batman touched his gauntlet and a secret door opened in front of them within seconds. Olivia looked puzzled at her mentor, raising an eyebrow (which was covered by the mask) at the silent request made by the Dark Knight "Why don't we walk through a door like civilized people?"

          "Because we are not civilians and this should be a hideout, not a public place," Batman declared before rolling his eyes.

          "Okay, okay." The blonde raised her hands. "You should write a book called "Being a Vigilante for Fools."

          "Focus, Liv, this is not a game," The Knight said before entering the small space.

          Olivia Wayne, being alone, let out a sigh - clearly annoyed and, to say the least, exasperated - before falling into the small hole and landing, in a not so subtle way, on the top floor of the Clock Tower. There she found a fairly familiar environment, several libraries on both sides, forming part of a circle and thus revealing a friendly environment. The Wayne girl approached the big clock, which gave views of Gotham in a fantastic way. Turning around, she found Batman moving the head of a small statuette back, which revealed a small detector that scanned Bruce's face. Next to her, a photo of two people rested: a woman and a man. Olivia smiled as she took the frame between her fingers and seeing them together gave her a lot of joy. They were Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake; they had been together for quite a few months and all of that had started since Tim became Robin.

          How terrible fate was then.

          "Identity confirmed," The batcomputer announced.

          Suddenly the shelves and bookcases slid down, creating even more space than was initially in the room. The large windows where the cranks of the clock moved were closed by small metal gates and the room was dark for a moment until holograms were formed like screens and a panel was unfolded in front of them. A beep sounded from Olivia's gauntlet and she pressed the button, letting Atlas's face appear on one of the three screens in the room.

          "I see you have arrived safely."

          Olivia clicked her tongue. "After seeing those tanks hanging around town, I really think this is going to be chaos."

          Behind them, a gate opened and Olivia realized that Barbara Gordon had entered just in time. Batman, for his part, was snooping through the recent archives of the batcomputer - opening a file on the chemical constituents of the toxin. Barbara rolled her eyes and shook her head, looking amused. "Will I go into the Batcave and rummage through your things?"