Chapter 34

It is difficult for me to concentrate on anything throughout the day, wondering what could be going on outside my office doors. My legs jiggle restlessly as I make phone calls, schedule and reschedule appointments, and organize the contents of Dana’s file cabinets. She is really dreadful at keeping anything in order.

Just before one o’clock, a knock sounds from the door. “Come in!” I call, assuming that it is Michael. I am sitting at my desk and I don’t look up until my guest is standing right in front of me. Expecting to see green, my eyes widen when they fall upon the light hazel of the new boy, Ashton’s eyes. “Oh,” I stutter. “Um, hi.”

“Hi,” he says warmly. Why does he make me so uneasy?

“Can I…?” He gestures to the chair across from my desk.

“Of course,” I say breathlessly. He takes a seat and we are facing each other. I decide to let him make the first conversational move, which he seems to do gladly.

“So Kate, I…” He laughs, running his hand through his hair. He seems nervous, reminding me of Michael in this moment. “I wanted to make sure you didn’t think I was a stalker or anything,” he laughs. Awkward silence falls between us. Does he want me to deny that I think he’s a stalker? I still know nothing about him. He clears his throat awkwardly. “Because I saw you at the restaurant and all…” he lets the sentence trail off, and I realize that I’m coming off very cold.

“I don’t think you’re a stalker,” I offer him a small reprieve. “But I was wondering about the restaurant thing.”

Ashton nods his head earnestly. “I recognized you,” he said. “I saw you here when I came for my interview, but then I thought it was odd that you would be a waitress and I wasn’t quite sure that it was you. But I was pretty sure it was. And then I was going to wait to ask you after you got off but I could tell that you were a little freaked out and I-“

“Ashton,” I laugh, holding up my hand to stop him. His entire little confessional was so rushed, he barely even breathed once. “It’s okay,” I laugh again. “I’m glad you told me, though, because I was a little worried.”

“I’m so sorry,” he says earnestly. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“It’s okay,” I say again. Silence falls again, and this time I don’t think he is going to break it. “So… what did you get hired for?” I ask.

“Working on graphic design,” he says. There is suddenly a spark in his eyes as he launches into an explanation of what he is doing for the company, and I only half-listen. Most of my unease in regards to Ashton has disappeared, instead I focus on the way that he immediately becomes animated while speaking about his job. It is rare to come across someone who is so passionate for what they do.

The door opens and Michael enters, but Ashton is completely undeterred from his explanation. Michael gives me a questioning look, but I can’t respond without Ashton seeing. Finally, Ashton reaches the end of his little speech.

“Interesting,” Michael says sarcastically.

“Thank you!” Ashton chirps, clearly missing the sarcasm. He looks back across at me and reaches out to shake my hand. His grip is warm and soft as he smiles at me. “Thanks again, Kate,” he says. He stands up to leave, clapping Michael on the shoulder as he walks past him. The look on Michael’s face is priceless. He doesn’t even try to hide is discomfort and judgment as the door swings closed behind Ashton.

“That dude is weird,” he mumbles under his breath.

I laugh. “I like him.”

“Yeah well, you like everyone,” Michael rolls his eyes.