Chapter 91

KATE

"Do you want me to take you back to Britt's place after this?" Michael asks through a mouth full of pancakes.

"Yeah. I mean... yeah."

"Or we could, um. Just... hang at mine for a while?"

"Whatever is fine," I tell him with a tight smile.

"Okay, stop that."

"Stop what?"

"Why are you being so awkward?" Michael whines.

"I'm not trying to!" I laugh. "It's just... the situation is what's awkward, not me."

"Yeah, I know. But you and I are way past the point of letting awkward get in the way of things."

I laugh. "I guess. But your girlfriend being homeless isn't the usual kind of awkward."

"Kate, listen. You can stay with me, you know that. But I think that our first order of business... or at least high on the list, should be fixing things with your parents."

"Michael, I—"

He cuts off my protest before I can finish. "No, listen to me. Please." I shut my mouth and lean back, silently giving him permission to continue. "I know that they've been hard on you... too hard on you, I get that. But they're your family, Kate. I feel like I've learned a lot about that lately, you know? Family. Like mine. The fact that my parents aren't really my parents has been brought under the microscope so often lately. But every time it does, they remind me that they're still my family. And having those people who know you like that, who love you like that... that's been life changing, Kate. They're the only reason that I'm able to love at all. I wouldn't have you if it weren't for them."

He is blinking at me earnestly, eyes wide and hoping. I lean forward with a sigh, taking his hands in mine and resting them on the table in front of us.

"Michael," I start. "I understand what you're saying. I really do, but it's not the same situation."

"I'm not saying it is," he defends. "I know it's not, I know it's nowhere close. They hurt you, I get that. Your parents have done all the wrong things, but they had the right intentions. They just want what's best for you."

"How could they possibly have any idea what's best for me?" I fire back, biting down on the inside of my cheek. "They hardly know me at all."

Michael squeezes my hands on top of the table. "Maybe you have to show them," he says gently. "I'm not saying that you should go running back to them. They burned a bridge with you, Kate, but maybe they've had some time to go through the rubble and realize what they lost. If there's one thing I've learned from these past few months, it's that it's never too late."

I squeeze his hands thankfully but remain silent, and he seems to get the message. I'd rather not talk about this right now, not while we he and I are recovering from the biggest storm we've ever encountered. Isn't there supposed to be a calm phase?

"Move in with me," Michael says suddenly.

So much for a calm phase.

"Are you fucking insane? Hell no."

"Well damn, Kate. Don't spare my feelings."

"Sorry," I laugh, reaching for his hands again. "There's just no possible way for that to be a good idea."

"In any other situation, I would agree. But you won't go to your parents and I know you don't want to live on Britt's couch. I understand why you think it's a bad idea, but where else are you going to go? I mean, knowing you, you'd find some sketch-ass apartment on the rough side of town, and live there alone just so you can be independent. And I'm all for that, I swear I am. But just for now... before you go making any decisions like that... I'd like to have you in a place where I know I can keep you safe." Michael lets out a long breath after his little speech, averting his eyes to the table.

"Who's going to keep you safe?" I ask, nudging his arm.

"You, 'cause you're a badass," he smiles up at me softly.

"Shut up. Seriously, who? I don't really think that anyone could keep us safe, Michael. Dark secrets will find you even in the brightest places."

"I'm tired of the dark secrets shit," Michael half whines. "Is it too late to take you up on that offer of just getting out of here?"

I wish he wasn't joking. "Yeah," I laugh gently. "That was a one night only offer, sorry. Besides, you can't run from this."

"I was doing a pretty good job of it until I met you."

"No you weren't. You just let yourself think you were and you didn't have anyone around to tell you otherwise."

Michael leans back, stretching his arms over his head with a short laugh. "I fucking love you, you know that?"

"Yeah. I fucking love you, too."

"Move in with me then."

"I—fine."

"Really?" His eyes light up in a childlike manner, his whole demeanor shifting.

"Only for a little while, Michael," I warn. "Only until all of this is resolved. After that, I'm finding that sketch-ass apartment on the rough side of town."

"Okay," Michael chuckles with a roll of his eyes. But even after we leave the small restaurant, there is a certain spring in his step.

MICHAEL

It doesn't take Kate long to collect all of her belongings from Britt's place; she doesn't have much. It only takes two trips with each of us carrying a few items apiece before Britt's living room is back to normal. Kate leaves a note on the coffee table for Britt, a short explanation with instructions to call her later.

"Okay," Kate says, signing her name in her loopy handwriting. "Let's go."

"Um, actually..." I trail off, nervously rubbing the back of my neck. "You should probably stay here for a little while."

"What? Why?" I hate how her tone automatically diverts to suspicion, but I suppose I've earned it.

"I, um... It's kind of gross."

"What's kind of gross?"

"My apartment. I was having a rough few weeks... well, you know. I just need a little time to clean up for you."

"Oh," Kate laughs. "Michael, it's fine. I can help, I—"

"No," I insist. "No, please let me do this. You've cleaned up enough of my messes, and I just want to make it nice for you. You're going to be living there, Kate. You deserve this. Please?"

Kate seems hesitant, but I see the moment when she finally gives in. "Fine," she sighs. "Just..." she trails off, shaking her head.

"What?" I prompt her.

She reaches for my hand. "Promise me that's really where you're going?"

I sigh, but I can't be upset with her for demanding this, especially since I am forming a different plan as we speak. "I promise," I say gently.

Kate's eyes search mine, but she finds nothing suspicious there. She kisses my cheek before I turn away, trying not to let guilt show in my step. It's nothing really.

I'm not lying to her.

At least not entirely.