Chapter 76

MICHAEL

"Emily," I breathe, the shock in my voice evident.

"Oh, now you wanna remember my name," she rolls her eyes. It hits me hard, realizing that she too is belligerently drunk. "Can't avoid me now, Michael, can you?" She smirks.

"Are you done staring?" Kate snaps at me, bringing me back to the present.

"I wasn't-" I start, but Kate just scoffs and rolls her eyes, cutting me off. "Kate, can we-"

"Nope," she laughs, holding up her hand. "You can go now, Michael. You can see that I'm fine. I'm not hurt. You're off the hook. No repeating the past and all that."

"Kate, that's not what I'm doing. That's not the only reason I'm here, you know that. It was scary as hell to think that you might not be okay, but coming here wasn't about avoiding guilt. I'm not that selfish. Maybe I used to be, but I'm not anymore. My life isn't about me anymore, it's about you and your-"

"Save it, Romeo." Kate holds up her hand to stop me.

I hear Luke snort in laughter behind me and I want to turn around and hit him.

"What?" I snap at Kate, tired of her attitude.

"Save it," she repeats, shrugging her shoulders. "Cut the shit."

"Shit?" I say through my teeth. "You think my feelings are shit?"

"I think... yes. Shit. You're a shitty person." Her broken sentences remind me that she is drunk and that she can't necessarily be held to the things that she says right now, no matter how true they are.

"Why?" I breathe.

"Because, Michael, you're a liar. You come here all gallant and fancy and romantic, trying to tell me that I'm your life? That's bullshit! If I was your life, you wouldn't have left!" Tears rise in her eyes, the drunk tough girl façade finally cracking to reveal the hurt, broken little girl underneath.

"Kate, I'm sorry," I say lamely.

"Don't care," she mumbles, wiping her eyes. She seems to have suddenly remembered that we are not alone.

"You gonna say hi to me, Lukey?" Emily calls from her spot in the hallway. She has an almost empty glass of wine in her hand, and the smile on her face a lot sadder than it was moments ago.

"Hi," Luke mumbles from behind me. He is practically hiding behind me, using me as a shield. He is such a fucking pussy, I swear.

"Good to see you," Emily says. She only slurs a little.

"You too." Luke's voice seems to have gained some strength.

"Liar," Emily mumbles. "Both of you, liars." She laughs before raising her glass to Kate, who fake toasts with her.

An uncomfortable silence falls in the hallway, and I know that no matter how long I can prolong this, I can't stay here.

"Let's go," Luke mumbles from behind me, seeming to read my mind. Kate claps her hands with drunken enthusiasm, gently placing her hands on my shoulders and walking me backwards out the door.

"Yeah," she says. "Go."

We stare each other down for a minute, and my eyes land on Emily. "Are you okay here, with her?" I mutter to Kate, under my breath.

"I like her," Kate says loudly. "She's better company than you, at least."

I sigh in defeat. "Call me if you need anything," I say.