Chapter 7: Dreams of V'lturhst: Glace

Começar do início

 “I do not think I will need that, Casser, thank you.”

 Casser drew himself up; he was tall for an Icer, and though Glace was much taller still, the older man dominated the table. Stasia looked slightly sulky, as if she knew a lecture was coming.

 “Your ruling today was highly unorthodox, niece. It may have seemed clever at the time, and perhaps it was, but you will pay for it. You have not made one single friend on the Council, and those who might have been swayed to support you now fear your power. What you did in there was no compromise; it was completely undiplomatic. You showed the Council that you will rule as you please, no matter their wishes.”

 “But Casser, don't you see how absurd it is for them to restrict whether I can leave this cavern? What if we are attacked here? Do I have to wait for a ruling before I can flee? If I am taken prisoner, am I to say to the Flames, 'you will have to wait for our next council meeting, I am not allowed to leave?' The very proposal was insulting. The Council was telling me they have no faith in my judgement.”

 “It was a test, and you failed, Stas.” Larc shifted her feet as she said it, but her voice was strong.

 Glace admired Larc's bravery. He had seen the same thing, in what little he had heard of the Council from the training square, but he would not have been able to tell Stasia that to her face. Larc went on, “They gave you a small matter for the first proposal, so that they could judge your response. Now that you have taken the hard line, they will resist you at every turn.”

 Casser spoke before Stasia could explode again. The Regent was glaring daggers at her friend. “And that does not even speak to your bringing up surrender. That was a clear breach of the charter, which states that the monarch may not debate any proposal before it is laid before them. You did not merely debate it, you refuted it before it even became a proposal. Treason to speak of surrender? Will you have Glace arrest me now, because I have spoken that word twice?”

 Glace hoped Casser did not underestimate his niece's brashness. He did not want to have to arrest the Prince; Casser might be the only one to whom Stasia might occasionally listen.

 “Don't be absurd, Uncle. You know I will not. Surely you can see that I had to stop that kind of talk. How can we wage war if half the people are ready to simply give up? We must have a strong Iskalon. The charter is absurd. Why should I not be able to speak my piece, like any other citizen?”

 “Because you are not a citizen, you are royalty.” Glace was startled to hear the words leave his own mouth. The other three swiveled to stare at him, and from the sharpness in Stasia's eyes, and the impatience in Casser's, he regretted speaking, but he could not stop now. He had studied the history of the Royal line of Iskalon in great depth, read every gold plate on the subject, and Stasia needed to know what he knew. “When the Great Cataya united the people of Iskalon under herself, a single monarch, she knew that without balance, her power could be as harmful to the people as she meant it to be good. It was your own ancestor who created the council system, asking the people to elect representatives from their craft groups, for this was before the Guilds. She pledged that although she had absolute authority to make decisions, she would hear the people's position on every matter before she ruled.”

 When he stopped, there was silence. Stasia's features had softened somewhat, Casser looked a little more attentive. Larc wore a tiny smile. Glace looked his Queen in the eyes. He had often gazed on the sculpture of Queen Cataya that stood before the Council Hall—had stood; the Flames had likely rendered it to dust. Stasia bore more than a passing resemblance to the great monarch, although the wisdom and peace the artist had captured in Cataya's eyes were eagerness and impatience in Stasia's. He expected a reprimand, or a shift in the conversation back to the council meeting at hand, but instead Stasia said, “Go on,” in a cold but contemplative voice.

 Glace needed no further prodding. He launched into as brief an account as he could manage of the evolution of the councils after Cataya’s mysterious disappearance. How to explain the increasing power of the representatives without describing the entire shift of the craft groups into Guilds? How to convey the importance of the silent monarch to the people, without detailing the ten great rebellions, and the shifts in royal family that made Stasia's ties to Cataya's line tenuous at best? As he spoke, he could not help wondering why they allowed him to eat up the precious time before Fifth with his histories. Didn't Stasia know these things already?

 “The last great rebellion was more than three hundred years before Krevas's rein. We have few records from that time, because the people stopped mining, and no gold plate was made. We do know that the entire royal family was killed in their sleep, before anyone knew there was a problem. Supposedly a distant cousin survived, and carried the blood of Cataya on into the next monarch, but for many years Iskalon was without any ruler. It is believed that the King who precipitated that rebellion, King Lentel, did so by disbanding the Council and ordering the representatives beheaded.”

 Larc shuddered. Casser said, “Thank you, Glace. I believe that is all we have time for, at the moment. Stasia may rely on you for your knowledge later. It is fortunate that some of what was lost in our royal library is carried on in your mind.

 “Do you see now, Niece? Without you, Iskalon shall be a boat with no pole in the midst of the lake. But you must steer her where she wants to go, not where you alone will.”

 From the look on her face, all of the Stasia’s rage had faded into regret. “I see that I am unfit, Casser. I have been foolish and selfish. I will be the most meek, quiet Regent there ever was, until my sisters are found.” She looked at her hands, and Glace felt her loss of heart keenly.

 “You won't be alone, Stasia.” Larc reached for her friend's hand. “We will be here to advise you.”

 Stasia let Larc clasp her fingers, but her eyes went to Casser. “Am I to be a figurehead, then?”

 Again, Glace's mouth opened of its own accord. “You are to be a Queen.”

 She looked at him in surprise, as if she had never really considered the notion. She raised her chin and drew herself up taller. In the distance, Fifth chime sounded, clear and sweet, echoing into their tiny alcove. Stasia stood first, smoothing her garments and straightening her Regent’s crown. Her shoulders were straight, and Glace could almost see the duty pressing on them. For the first time, Glace saw her not as a rebellious princess, defiant and childish, but as the Queen, regal and wise, an echo of Cataya.

 “Let us go,” she said, and her voice was not resigned, it was almost eager, “And hear what the people of Iskalon want.”