Four (Part 2)

November 30, 1994
Janet and Tupac were in New York, the night before his big trial. Tupac was severely stressed and if it wasn't for Janet, he didn't what he would be doing to himself. Janet's second leg of her tour had ended back in August and she wouldn't start touring again until next year. She never left his side and he was thankful for that.

"How are you feeling, baby?" Janet was rubbing his back, trying to ease his nerves.
"I just still can't believe it." he turned to face her.
"Do you think I would do that?"
Janet leaned into him. "Of course not, honey.. that girl was just mad because you didn't want her but she wanted you. I know you're innocent, baby." She stroked his cheek.
"I love you," he kissed her lips. "You know that right?" He looked into her eyes.
"Yes, baby I do." She smiled.
"Janet.. I have something I've been meaning to ask you for a while now." He took her hands in his.
Janet gave him a puzzled look.
"I know we've only been together for a year, but I can't wait any longer.. I want you to be my wife.
Nobody I've ever met in my life has made me feel as safe and secure as you do. When I'm sleeping next to you sometimes I wake up and just admire how beautiful you are. You're the sun in my sky, the air I need to breathe and I cannot imagine life without you, Sweetheart." He spoke in a loving tone.

Tupac grabbed the velvet box from his pocket and Janet softly gasped, realizing what was was about to happen.
"Baby.." Her voice cracked.
He got down on one knee in front of Janet.
"Janet Damita Jo Jackson.. will you marry me?"
"Yes, baby! I will!" She cried and leaned in to kiss him. He slid the ring onto her finger.
"I love you, Square.." he put his hand on her cheek and pulled her into a gentle kiss.
"I love you so much more, baby."
Janet admired her ring. It was gold band lined with diamonds that had a heart shaped emerald in the center. Janet's birthstone. "This is so beautiful. Thank you." She kissed him sweetly.
"Don't thank me, baby. Just show it off. You deserve it."

Janet turned on the stereo on the dresser and heard the opening chords to On Bended Knee

"Come over here and dance with me boy." She grinned and motioned for him to come closer.

He placed his hands on her waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck. She began mouthing the first verse to him as they swayed back and forth.
"You know what, babe?"
"Hmm?"
"I want them to sing at our wedding. I know them so I'm sure they would do it."
"That would be great, baby."
Then Tupac's beeper went off.
"Baby I gotta go take care of some business..okay?"
She pulled back and frowned, "Okay baby."
"Don't give me that face, Jay. I'll be back soon."
He kissed her forehead. "I love you."
"I love you too, Pookie, but please don't go..something doesn't feel right. You should stay here with me." She grabbed his arm and pleaded with tears in her eyes.
"Baby, baby, please don't cry." He wiped away a tear with his thumb.
"I can't help it. Something just doesn't feel right."
He hugged her, rubbing her back until she calmed down. He grabbed her hands and looked into her eyes. "Baby, I'm gonna come back as soon as I can. Okay?"
"Okay." She looked down.
"Nothing is gonna happen to me." He placed her hand over his heart. "See, I'm right here." He saw her eyes tear up again.
"Square, don't worry about me." He kissed her softly before pulling back, placing his hand on her cheek and looked into her scared, glassy eyes. She grabbed his arm, nodded and took a deep breath.
"I'm just gonna be in the studio. When I get back we can properly celebrate our engagement." He winked and closed the door.
Janet flopped down onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. Even the song was making her think about him even more.
I'll never walk again, until you come back to me
He needs to come back. I wish he hadn't even left at all. Maybe I should just take a nap until he comes back.