xxxiii

“I’m glad to know and see that new connections and learnings were made in this year’s leadership training camp. This goes to show that the efforts exerted by the facilitators and the participants paid off. I hope that once you leave this venue tomorrow and go back to your respective realities, you will retain the learnings you have acquired and apply them to your different practices.” The head camp coordinator finished his closing remarks and we all gave him a resounding round of applause.

I will always treasure this experience and opportunity given to us by La Salle since this activity will really help us make better decisions in our respective sports and in the upcoming UAAP season.

We sang the La Sallian hymn as we concluded the three-day-seminar. Once done, it was cue for everyone to enjoy the night. I looked around me and saw most of the people heading towards the beverage section. It seems like there were drinks provided for all. I glanced at my watch and saw that it was already 11:56 pm.

Tinignan ko naman ang katabi ko and saw him chatting someone on his phone. “Tuloy pa ba ‘yong plano?” I asked.

He looked at me and an amused smile was painted on his lips. “I told them about what we discussed earlier this evening and they all teased us for being killjoys.”

I can’t help tuloy but roll my eyes. What’s new? Our friends will always be our number one bashers. Instead of pursuing the plan of going for another roadtrip this evening, we decided to stay here in the resort instead and enjoy the night observing the sky by the shore.

“What did you reply to them?” I asked while also checking my phone if there are new unread messages from the different GCs I’m part of.

I heard him chuckle kaya napatingin uli ako sa kanya. “Ba’t natatawa ka dyan?” I asked him, curious to know the reason of his laughter.

He showed me the convo on his phone and hindi ko tuloy mapigilan na suntokin ang braso niya. “What? I was just being honest to them. I’d hate to lie because knowing those weirdos, they’ll just ask us for more questions.”

I still gave him a playful glare after hearing his response. “Kainis ka pa rin. Sana di mo nalang pinatulan. Just like what you’ve said, our friends are a bunch of weirdos. We don’t have to explain ourselves to them.”

Sino bang hindi maiinis sa hiya matapos makita ko yong reply niyang, “Have to make landi because we’ll be busy once we’re back in the city.”

Malandi talaga tong si Jeron. I’ve always known about this side of him, but I never expected to feel this way now that I’m the end receiver of it. Well, might as well get use to it.

Nag unat muna ako before I stood up from my seat. I tried to look for my teammates. I saw the youngsters enjoying the beverages served for this evening whilst talking to their friends. I scanned the other side of the resort and napansin ko na wala ang ibang batchmates ko.

“Are you looking for the bullies?” Tanong ni Jeron na hindi ko namalayan na nakatayo na rin pala.

I gave him a nod. “Yes, tatanungin ko sana kung ano’ng plano nila.”

“Why not message them in the groupchat?”

“Nah, knowing them, baka puro pang aasar lang ang aabutin ko if I do that.”

He laughed and wrapped his arms around my shoulder. “But wouldn’t it be more efficient if you just message them now? Come on, I want to spend time with you na.”

“Ay si ser, parang nakalimutan niya atang magkatabi lang kami kanina.” I said sarcastically but started walking towards ‘our spot’.

“Iba kasi if it’s just us alone. As much as I love your friends, I love it most when I get to talk and spend time with you alone.” He playfully said and pulled me closer to him.