A Welcome Respite

Start from the beginning

"A year to you is short", Firiel commented. I shrugged.

"It is long enough to know someone. Besides, the couple would have loved each other before their betrothal too. Our customs are not nearly as strange as yours, I think. I have never understood marriages of politics or convenience. What is it you call them?"

"Arranged marriages." Raina scowled. "I would never agree to one."

"It sounds awful." I wrinkled my nose, pulling the peeled carrots towards me and cutting them neatly into sticks.

"Is that not something that happens in elvish society?" Legolas and Galdor had returned, Aranwë skipping ahead of them. Galdor spoke again confusedly. "How do you make alliances with other nations?"

Legolas dropped to the ground beside me, an entire box full of fish in his hands. He cocked an eyebrow. "The leaders meet and agree to terms. Is that such an alien concept?"

"How do you seal alliances?" Ancalimë asked incredulously. We both laughed.

"We sign a document! Why should we bargain our sons and daughters away for something as temporary as an alliance? Forced marriage can cause elves to fade from the world." Legolas took a fish out of the box as he spoke and laid it on a flat rock to gut it.

I threw the last carrot into the pot and shuffled over to help Legolas, trying not to aggravate my stiff knee. Without a word, Legolas took off his cloak, folding it to cushion my knee from the hard ground. I smiled my thanks and took the knife he handed me, reaching across him for a fish.

"Fade?" Aranwë frowned.

"Fading means dying of grief", I explained.

"You're not going anywhere." Aranwë spoke uncertainly. Legolas shook his head.

"No one is going to fade, my young friend. Why don't I teach you how to gut these?"

The little boy was easily soothed. He grinned and plopped down on the ground next to Legolas, who started showing him exactly how to cut the fish open.

"If you don't mind me asking", Galdor said gently, "how are you still here?"

The grim memories of my family's throats agape crossed my mind. I swallowed. "It came close, but I had good friends who pulled me out of that dark place." I looked up at Legolas and we smiled at each other.

"Let us not depress ourselves", he said lightly, "how should we cook the fish, Ness?"

"Why ask me?" I laughed. Legolas grinned, his eyes twinkling.

"You're the expert. If I don't have more of your cooking soon, I fear I may fade."

"You have to cook!" Aranwë laughed. "You have to save him!"

"I'll need some help on this daring rescue mission", I grinned. "I am afraid Aragorn has told me not to walk far today. Do you see those herbs by the bank over there? Go and pick me as many leaves as possible. If we hurry, we'll save him in time!"

Aranwë sprinted off. Legolas watched him, beaming as he gathered up the leaves as quickly as he could in his small hands. "I hope you don't need them whole."

"All you do is sprinkle them inside and char the fish in the embers of the fire", I chuckled "it isn't complicated."

"It is to me. How many would be too many, for instance? And what if you burn them?"

"Had you ever cooked anything before you came here, you spoiled prince?" Legolas flicked fish guts at me. I dodged them, then placed them neatly on his lap, earning a disgusted groan.