Chapter 6. The Pickwick Portfolio

Start from the beginning

In front of me, each one nailed to its own skinny tree amongst the cluster, is a group of individual little mail boxes made of wood. Each one has a ribbon tied to it in coordination with the owners key, and I can't help but admire the handiwork.

"Did you make them?" I wonder, turning my head to smile at the boy beside me.

He rocks back on his heels in the grass, unable to hide the prideful grin that appears on his face.

"Yes," he states, and gestures to mine. "go on, open it."

I hold his gaze curiously for a second before turning to open my own mailbox, the little blue ribbon tied to the top floating in the spring breeze. The key turns with an almost inaudible click, and then the door opens, revealing the contents of the box.

Inside are an envelope with my name written across it in beautiful cursive, as well as a square covered in wrapping paper with a bow and a folded up note tied to the top. I shoot the boy next to me a look of surprise, and he smiles, watching me quietly.

"You don't have to abide by my request but, I'd prefer if you opened the bo—er, the package back when you're in your room. The note too. And the letter, frankly. It's kind of—" he scratches the back of his neck, and to my great amusement, the tips of his ears turn pink. "It's a bit embarrassing."

I giggle airily and nod, locking my mail box up before clutching the items against my chest.

"I will," I start, and then gesture to the box again. "I really do appreciate this. This is one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me."

"Sincerely?" Laurie gapes, his eyebrows raising. "If no one does things for you like this then I should—" he pauses, cutting his thought off midway, and shakes his head at the ground. "I'm glad you liked it. I hoped you would."

"I do," I beam, and shift a bit closer to him.

Taking the hint, he bends his head towards mine. He pauses, and then, with an amused grin on his face, holds my face with one hand and uses the other to gently peel off one of Amy's fake mustaches from my lip. I laugh aloud when I realize I've had it on this entire time, and the moment it's gone he leans forward, planting a chaste kiss against my mouth.

"We'd better go inside or else the girls will start to wonder," I whisper after he pulls away too soon.

He nods, and moves like he's going to kiss me again, but then the rumbling of a carriage coming up the road stops both of us in our tracks. Laurie turns his head curiously, and we watch Aunt March's carriage roll into the drive, the horses nickering to each other.

"How odd," Laurie comments, voicing my own thoughts allowed, before titling his head towards the house.

I follow a step behind him, watching his hand twitch by his side for a moment like it's itching to grab my own.

I feel the same way.

The coachmen opens the door and gestures to me, and I'm surprised to see the carriage already packed with an overnight bag. When someone had the moment to do that by the time Laurie and I walked up the drive, I have no idea.

As if sensing my confusion, Marmee steps out the front door. If she's surprised to see Laurie next to me she doesn't show it, instead smiling at him as she strides up to us, wicker basket in hand.

"Lillian, Aunt March sent a telegram about an hour ago. She's calling you to tea—says it's an important matter. I've packed you a day dress inside the bag, and here are some muffins Hannah baked—hello Laurie." She reaches out to touch his shoulder lightly in greeting, before turning to me again. "Run inside and freshen up, will you? And bring some of the honey we got from the market along."