Chapter 6. The Pickwick Portfolio

Start from the beginning

"No!" Meg scoffs, at the same time Amy adds, "absolutely not!"

Jo sighs exasperatedly and breaks out of character, staring at us with a frown.

"Come on guys, let's have him." She insists, and we quiet for a moment.

'Laurie in the Pickwick Portfolio?' I think, mulling over what I want to say. Of course I want him in, its Laurie, but I need to agree in a way that doesn't scream 'I'm desperate'.

"I'd think he'd be a lovely addition," I speak up, choosing my words carefully.

Jo gestures to me pointedly, looking pleased with my decision. "See? One of you has some sense."

"But he's a real boy," Amy sighs, peeling off her fake mustache.

"We don't want any boys—this is a club for ladies." Meg twists to face me again, her bottom lip jutted out in a pout.

"I think we should to do it, even if we are afraid," Beth chimes in softly. "I say yes. It's Laurie!"

"Now then, everybody vote, and
remember that it's our Laurie. Say, 'AYE'!" Jo cheers.

Meg and Amy both grumble to themselves in turn, before speaking out with reluctant 'aye's. Jo smiles again, once again conspiratorial, and gestures for us to gather round. Meg hops off of me and into the chair to my left, and we all scoot our own chairs nearer.

"And," she starts, her eyes shifting to the costume rack beside her. "as there is no time like the present!"

Not a second after she finishes her sentence, Laurie himself, in the flesh, bursts out from behind the clothing, a deep purple velvet jacket covering him and Jo's pirate boots on his feet. We all shriek, the room erupting into anarchic laughter and clapping.

"Ladies, please —this is my stratagem, I deserve the blame: Jo only gave into it after lots of teasing." He growls out in a comical voice, pulling more giggles from the five surrounding girls. He sinks into a dramatic bow, and then, catching my eye, tosses me a quick wink.

I try in vain to stop the blush from rising to my cheeks.

"Hear, hear!" Jo shouts, clapping her hands to receive our attention. "Let the man speak, you hooligans!"

"I merely wish to say, that as a slight token of my gratitude and as a means of promoting friendly relations between adjoining nations, I propose this set of keys for a little post office I've made in the forest by the pond." He smiles as we cheer, and he begins to make his way around, pulling said keys out of his jacket. "Allow me to present five copies of the key, and with many thanks for your favor, take my seat as part of the club."

When he gets to me he slips an iron key with a blue ribbon tied to the end into my open palm. His fingers linger over mine for a beat longer than what would seem normal to onlookers, and he holds my gaze, hazel eyes sparkling.

"Thank you," I whisper, feeling warm, and he mouths a quick 'you're welcome' before passing out the rest of the keys to my siblings.

I sit still for a few minutes, my eyes following him around the room, feeling a warmth slow like honey spread throughout my limbs. I've never fallen in love—could this be what that feels like?

Sensing heavy eyes on me, I glance to my left, catching Jo's gaze linger on mine boldly for a few seconds before she looks away, something like a scowl beginning to form on her lips. An icy cold rushes over me, and I wonder if Amy really was right.

Does Jo like Laurie?

________________________________

"Laurie, it's wonderful!" I gasp.