C50: The Children

Start from the beginning

There was also the routine. Which, did help with keeping Alexios from being on the edge all the damn time, even if he worried himself more than was needed over the silliest of things.

And, as much as he hated to think it, this, right now, what she was doing, was just a much a part of the routine as his early morning walks that, at first, had scared the shit out of her. At least he knew where she was going...

And, her walks also gave them information. Whether his did or not, she couldn't tell because he never said and, Iris had got to the point where just a raised voice would make her start blubbering and, it broke Eos' heart too much to persue it.

It also wasn't so sporadic either, every few days, down from every day in the beginning - some common ground she'd reached with him - Eos would pay a visit to Alkibiades. Except, the politician didn't know of the company as he was usually far too caught up in whatever it was he was doing to realise anyone else had been there.

The politician knew they were in the compound, amongst the people. He'd even been the one to suggest it but, he'd made no move to come and see them. Ali had never had any need to go to the village. Coupled with the fact that he was trying to keep a low profile - he had all he needed come to him.

Which also included Kassandra and Darius - much to the delight and then, un-delight of the Persians that had been waiting for them.

Kassandra had suspected that it had been a trap, in order to prove Alkibiades loyalty to his new benefactors but, it seemed, as always, he was also trying to play his own game which, for now, didn't include betraying his old friends.

Alexios had watched from afar as the last of the Persian guards had tried to stop them from leaving, after Kassandra had semi-attempted to kill Alkibiades, leaving enough of his guard to tell the story and keep up the front the politician had.

They had left with some information on the whereabouts of Amorges and some of his men but, Kassandra knew there had to be more to it and, had mentioned that, if they could, to look out for it, however it was they did it. As long as it didn't blow their cover.

Eos hadn't had the pleasure of being a part of that conversation though and, she could see Alexios almost dying inside when he told her - he'd made it clear to both of them he would rather leave, find a cave and live like wildlings but, a baby didn't allow for those sorts of things. Iris needed the comfort of a fire during the cold nights and, parents who didn't have to fight even more to survive than they already did.

And, if only to make her life not so mundane anymore, Eos had taken it upon herself to keep an eye on Ali and his under-takings - much to Alexios' dismay but, he was far too fragile to deal with the politicians sense of humour and, some of the things she'd heard him say, whether true or not, would have made Alexios flip.

It had also bore fruit, meaning that they knew whenever an Order member was going to pass through, whether a persian patrol was making a visit. It also let them know that, if anything, Ali didn't have any involvement with the whereabouts of them, most of the letters referring to Kassandra or Darius.

Eos didn't know if that made her felt safer or not though. For all they knew, the Order were just letting them be, awaiting the right moment. Or, they didn't think Ali knew where they were so never asked it him. Or, at least, wrote it in a letter.

Because that's what she was here for. With Alexios' restraints, that was all she could really get on to.

Although, that didn't mean that she hadn't learnt his patterns.

His daily routine was sporadic at times. Most days, he met with men high up on the social ladder, leaders, both the corrupted kind and the truth-seeking kind, to bargain trades with, mostly soldiers and weapons and then, other times, it was to bargain with love... even if he had been married for a while now, it seemed he had no qualms in using any means to convince people of his cause.