I wrap my arms around myself. "Personally I think I was worried for nothing. You're just a..."

He looks up at me, through a fringe of bronze hair, sensing my hesitation. "Summoner?"

My voice drifts out of me slowly. "A guy, I was going to say. A man."

The soughing of the wind outside accompanies the chill that flutters over me, as Marek stares me down, as if he is trying to read me. Taking another sip from the glass, I savour the decadent, candied taste of this strange drink. If my memory serves me right, Jessa used to drink this religiously at night. I never imagined it to be so sweet.

"You're not just a girl, Akara. You shouldn't be working here," he says smoothly. He knows why I'm here, to serve my Tani and my family. If I didn't work while I preached, I wouldn't have a chance to do what is expected of me. My family as honest, humble farmers who are not particular wealthy.

"I have no other choice. I don't want another choice," I admit honestly.

In that moment, the strangest feeling echoes between my temples. A cloudiness creeps upon from the depths of my mind, sinking in behind my eyes, making me shake my head irritably. It's too foreign to be tiredness, but sudden fatigue has me swaying uneasily upon my feet.

Marek looks sad for a moment, looking down at my glass. "Then I suppose I don't regret anything."

"What do you mean?" I question, trying not to appear ill, even if the hurriedness of its onset has my stomach turning. I should leave, it was wrong of me to linger in his personal room so long when I'm on duty. It's just so easy to get swept away in conversation.

"I hope when you wake up, you'll see it from my perspective. You'll trust me," he murmurs, more to himself than me. I blink through a messy haze, my eyes failing me.

"Okay Hunter, what are you talking about?"

I step forward, as if to reprimand him for speaking in such tongues - or maybe it's my foggy confusion that keeps skewing his words - but my knees buckle beneath me, forcing me to catch myself on the desk. Marek stands, yet not frantically, as if he doesn't sense danger.

"You should lay down," he advises, reaching for me. I don't pull away from his grasp, the strong hands that keep me stable. My desire to lean into his warmth, into this able body of his that could keep me up right is intoxicating.

He guides me toward his bed, my ankles tangling around themselves uselessly.

"On your bed? I don't think so," I comment definitely, before another wave fatigue hits me, and I collapse upon his bed, struggling to muster up a smile despite myself. "Okay, maybe for a moment. What is this stuff?"

Marek pulls the drink from my hand, that I miraculously haven't spilt all upon myself. His expression is stoic, controlled, conducting himself in a manner that I would applause if I had the ability too. My panic at my ill state is constrained to my mind, making tears suddenly swell up within my eyes.

"A herb. It's natural, don't worry," he breathes, sitting next to me and my incapacitated state.

It hits me in one fluid moment, as I consume the reality of what he has done. "You drugged me."

"I'm sorry, forgive me," he murmurs, running a soft hand along my sweating forehead, willing me to close my eyes and succumb to the taunting darkness.

And I do, with no other choice but to close my eyes, and let it whisk me away.

🤎••🤎

If you guys want to read ahead, you can read more of King's Possession on Radish! It's chapters ahead of Wattpad (:

👁••👁

Hope you enjoyed!!!

Instagram: Sophie_Midika

~Midika 💜🐼