8. The Gauntlet

The Uglydolls, Hazel, Selena and Michael raced to the Gauntlet where Lou stood, a prideful smirk on his face. "Lou! I know you have June!" Babo shouted while glaring at the blonde man. Lou turned and glared back at the Uglydolls. But, what infuriated him the most was the fact that Moxy and Mandy were still alive. "So what if I do have June?" Lou scoffed, "You can't have her back. You don't deserve her, Fatty."
"What? And you do?"
"I've lived my entire life being admired and loved by all of the dolls here in Perfection. But, the moment her, Hazel and Selena were made, I felt something and tried to get them to admire me. I figured they would want to be with me like the others do. But, no. Instead, they knew what kind of person I was and rejected me! They chose to spend time with someone less perfect than I! How unfair does that sound!? Do you know what it's like to want someone so bad only for them to not want anything to do with you!?"
"Where did you take June?" Lou sneered at Babo's determination before answering, "Simple. I took her to...a certain part of The Gauntlet. Don't worry, I haven't harmed her. Wasn't planning to. Why don't we make a little deal? If you find her before I do, you can have her. But, if I find her before you, she will be mine. And so will Hazel and Selena. Do we have a deal?" Lou held out a hand for a shake of agreement. Selena allowed Michael to wrap his arms around her to keep her safe. Hazel and the others watched in shock as Babo shook Lou's hand despite not wanting to. He knew it was necessary if he were to save June.
"We...have a deal," Babo spat coldly.
"Excellent. Now, let's see who can compete for both the big world and June's heart."
The dolls stood still on the elevator as it made its way to the attic of The Gauntlet. Perfect dolls and Uglydolls sat in the crowd, watching and hoping for the best. Once the dolls arrived into the attic, the alarm went off and they all started to race to the exit. Suddenly, they were blocked by a barking robotic dog. Lou, of course, screamed like the others. But, a brilliant idea popped up in his head. I got rid of Nolan. Maybe I can get rid of Michael as well. Too bad I couldn't get rid of Babo. Lou then used his leg to "accidentally" kick Michael to the dog. "Sorry," Lou sarcastically apologized, "My leg twitched." Selena watched in horror as the man she grew to love was dragged away by the robotic dog. But, the dog still blocked their way.
"It's alright, you guys," Uglydog said, "Watch and learn from Slickdog." Uglydog then proceeded to dance in front of the robotic dog that currently had Michael under his paw. The dog was shocked at this scene but, at the same time, curious. "Go on!" Uglydog said to Michael and the others as he continued to distract the dog. Lou and Tuesday ran into a hallway that would lead them to the stairs when they heard it; the sound of a vacuum cleaner being turned on. The vacuum made its way towards Lou and Tuesday. Not wanting to waste his time getting June, Lou then turned around and pushed Tuesday. "Lou!" Tuesday shouted, "I totally don't deserve this!" Next thing Tuesday knew, she was sucked up into the vacuum cleaner.
Babo saw this happen. While he wanted to save June, he couldn't let Tuesday suffer. So, he went over and blew into the tube until the vacuum exploded, freeing Tuesday from it. "I'm starting to think Lou's just not into me." She said as she got up and followed Babo into the kitchen. The Uglydolls traveled into the kitchen to make their way to the finish line. As soon as Babo saves his friends from being crushed by a box of detergent, he saw her; June. She was trapped inside a clear cookie jar. Babo wasted no time climbing up the broom to get to the countertop where June was. "June!" Babo shouted, "I'm here to save you!" June turned around and widened her eyes in joy as Babo opened the lid and pulled her out. "My hero!" June said as she gave Babo a kiss on the cheek.
Meanwhile, Michael attempted to run for the living room when Lou grabbed him from behind. Selena freaked out and gasped. "Lou! Let him go!" She shouted. Lou ignored her and attempted to push Michael into the toy box. Michael fought back though both men's strengths were equal. "Why are you doing this, Lou!?" Michael demanded.
"Why!?" Lou repeated, "Because I want June, Hazel and Selena! That's why I got rid of Nolan!"
"Got rid of Nolan? So, Hazel was right. You did frame him for assaulting you. And do you honestly think that what you're doing will June, Hazel and Selena want you? If that's the case, you're sorely mistaken."
"I'm sorely mistaken? Funny coming from a man that didn't have perfect hearing to begin with. That's right, I heard your conversation with Selena. The fact that you wore hearing aids just proves that you're ugly as well which is another reason to get rid of you." While Lou was busy attempting to kill Michael, the robotic baby crawled up behind and grabbed Lou.
Meanwhile, the dolls who were watching the whole thing gasped. "It was a lie?" One doll asked.
"We should have known."
"Lou framed Nolan?" The dolls watched as Lou was suddenly grabbed by the robotic baby. Meanwhile, Moxy, Mandy, Lucky Bat and Ox drove a truck down the railing of the stairs only for it to bump into the door. "Ox? Are you okay?" Moxy asked.
"I think so." Ox replied. Moxy was about to help Ox up when suddenly, the robotic baby grabbed her too. "Hey!" Uglydog shouted, grabbing the other dolls' attention. They turned to see Uglydog, Babo, Tuesday and June riding on the robotic dog. "Is it okay for a pet to have their own dog?"
"Yes!" Ox cheered.
The robotic baby giggled as it shook Moxy and Lou. "Unhand me, you annoying little hazard!" Lou growled, glaring up at the baby, "Let go now!" In the blink of an eye, Lou kicked the baby on the chin. The baby stopped giggling and started crying. The dolls that were watching had gasped. "Did you see that?" A random doll asked. "Who kicks a baby!?"
"Boo, Lou!" Another random doll shouted as dolls started booing him as well. The baby dropped Moxy and threw Lou into the toy box. Selena and Hazel helped Michael up and made it to the exit. Moxy got up and decided to run for it as time was running out. Then, she stopped when she heard the baby cry. Everyone, except for Lou, was shocked at this. Why did she stop? Moxy turned around and walked over to the crying baby. "It's okay," Moxy said in a comforting tone, "Don't cry." She then went inside the baby's arms, causing the baby to hug her.
Hazel, Selena and June awed at the sight, not bothering to pay Lou any attention as he ran past them right out the door. Suddenly, the time was up. "Sorry, we didn't pass," Moxy said. The Gauntlet then opened up and what the dolls saw changed was something they will never forget.