Chapter 50: The Jefferson's

Alessandro's mother leaves after two weeks and Mary somehow convinces her mother to let her stay with her brother for another week.

Before Gust died, he had asked me to take care of the hotel meaning he hands it over to me until Samantha is old enough to continue the business. He had contemplated closing it down but he knows He has to keep it open because the money goes to Samantha's college.

Gust also asked me to fire all the employees that his run away wife had hired. So recently I have had to stop there and conduct interviews for new employees.

By the grace of God I am given a job at a law firm in the city near Lucia's new college. I could tell Giovanni wasn't too happy about it. He believes the man should be the only one working to support the family. He told me for the thousand time that he was indeed planning on marrying me and as his girlfriend and to be wife he would buy me whatever I needed.

But he needs to understand I constantly need to be doing something. Sitting at home waiting for my boyfriend or husband to come home was not appealing to me. I needed things to keep me busy so I wouldn't go insane.

Lucia enrolled in Syracuse College a few days ago and I stop by a lot to give her company.

Today Giovanni and I were finally going to visit Samantha. We were gonna go before but Gust's second cousin Andrew called and said they had taken a trip to Germany for the holidays.

The beautiful mansion is in the country side surrounded by beautiful oak trees and flowers.

A beautiful women with bright red hair who appears to be in her late forties opens the door.

"Hello you must be Giovanni and Sophia! Please come in".

We exchange hugs then she walks us to the living room where Samantha layed on the white sofa watching TV from an 85 inch tv.

I was so shocked by how much she has changed that I froze for a second.

Her hair was in two french braids and she was in a a white flowy dress and black flats.

"5 more minutes mommy".

Mrs. Jefferson strokes Sammy's hair, "Samantha you can finish watching later. Please go welcome our guest's dear".

Turning around the child screams as she runs into my arms.

I wasn't planning on it but I began to cry a bit. She was so big and in a mature kind of big. Nothing dramatic but I feel like she was my child for a time.

I took care of her for months and my heart grew to loving her-I loved her like a mother loves her child.

I kiss all over her face, "My baby, oh you got soo big Sammy!"

She giggles and looks up reaching for Giovanni.

A man with pepper hair and dark eyes walks in.

He reaches out his hand to me, "Hello you must be Sophia, I'm Andrew".

I smile, "It's nice to meet you Mr. Jefferson".

The couple leads us to the dining room table that just like Giovanni's, holds 20 people. A couple of women in maid uniforms bring out dishes.

A teenage boy comes in right as we're about to say grace and Samantha jumps up from her seat running to his arms.

Mrs. Jefferson gives Giovanni and I a sad smile, "Please excuse our son for coming in late. Raymond, this is Mr. Anastasi and Miss. Jenkins".

The boy shakes our hands and sits down with Samantha on his lap.

Mr. Jefferson whose mood dropped when his son came in glared at the girl.

"Samantha, sit in your seat please".

To my shock Samantha doesn't argue and obediently moves back to her seat next to Giovanni.

I narrow my eyes. Either she's gotten obedient or something is up with this man.

I turn to the teen, "Are you still in high school Raymond?"

He nods, "I'm a senior".

I nod not pushing him for more information. I can tell he's already annoyed for having to be here.

"Roman plays baseball".

The teenager gives Samantha a look.

Giovanni looks him up and down, "Really?"

He nods, "Yeah I like the game".

"He's the best on the team. He used to play soccer too but-".

"Why you played too?" Raymond anxiously cuts off Samantha.

Gio shrugs, "Yeah back in the day-".

Samantha nods, "GG could have gone to the MLB but he didn't".

Now it was Giovanni's turn to give Samantha the look.

"What! An opportunity like that! Why'd you turn it down?" The boy shouts.

"Why did", his mother corrects.

Giovanni wipes his mouth, "I had other important plans. But you wanna go big huh?"

The boy shrugs, "Yeah, I'd like to be a pro".

"I would", his mother corrects again.

"I keep telling Roman he needs to go to real college. Get a business degree, or something".

We all look at Mr. Jefferson who had been quiet till now.

Raymond glares at his father, "I have no interest in business-".

"A jock without brains that's what you wanna be?"

Mrs. Jefferson glares at the both of them, "Let's all calm down please".

I shift in my seat as an awkward silence fills the room.

"You ever heard of Amelia Dove?" I ask Raymond.

"Well she and I grew up together and now she dances for the Rockettes and she has a masters in math. She got hurt a year ago and can no longer dance but she has a job as a math professor at Penn State college already. I think that knowledge is power. But your dreams are what keep you alive-you know what I mean? So you gotta find the balance".

Raymond seems to take in my words but his father gets a sour look on his face but for the sake of his wife he doesn't say anything.

As planned we take Samantha home for the weekend. So we surprise everyone when we show up at Alessandro's house.

Less's eyes shimmer as he squeezes Sammy in his arms and Sammy gets a chance to hold the babies who are growing bigger by the minute.

Alessandro is completely attached to his children especially his daughter. She has gotten so used to him that she cries when anyone else holds her.

Lace came with Amir today so he could meet everyone and see the babies.

I can tell Mary is struggling to process that she is no longer the center of Alessandro's world anymore but she's mature about it.

We end the night and drive back to Giovanni's house where we watch Barbie and the three Musketeers as requested by Samantha who falls asleep 10 minutes in.

Remember to Vote!