To Scratch an Itch

Chapter 10

Her maidservant was completing her work on Amanda's hair when François walked in, looking dashing in his very English attire.

"As per English tradition, I am to escort you to the ball."

"English tradition or do you want to ensure I keep my promise of asking for a boat from the king?"

"Let's not do this. Not tonight."

"Tomorrow then. When you're on your merry way to France."

François sighed, and the servant girl finally moved away. 'All done, my lady."

"I suppose that would be your highness now, once the night is over."

The girl beamed at her. Francois's jacket rustled. "Are you ready?"

"We better get this over with," she said in reply, standing.

*+*

"Beautiful gown." her brother murmured as they walked a few steps from her room, more guards than usual flanking them. "The Madame delivered on time?"

Amanda nodded. "Quite surprising. I expected it to come later or not at all, but it arrived on time. I am greatly impressed." her brother nodded again and they ceased talking till they reached the great halls.

There was no announcement, Amanda was informed by François. Because the theme of the ball was to announce an entrance, only the king would be making the introductions tonight-although at the king's arrival, a herald would be found to make it known. Therefore, the doors of the great hall were unrestricted, guards were placed at every visible and hidden corner of the hall, it was unusual. Compared to the last ball she attended, security was tighter and the guards looked ready to spring at the slightest suggestion of danger.

The conversation lulled slightly when she walked in with her brother-cousin. They knew she was the belle of this party. Amanda made sure to keep a pleasant welcoming smile on her face as her brother walked with her, she had just become an important piece in the court game and from tonight, she would be approached to begin to form her team, her players.

They settled for a brightly lit area, she had to be seen.

"I forgot to mention this, the French ambassador arrived yesternight."

"WHAT?"

"Keep your voice down."

Amanda coughed. "What? Did he arrive alone? And why am I hearing this now?"

François shook his head sadly. "Unfortunately. He arrived with company."

"Who?" she hoped it was not-

"His daughters. All three of them."

Amanda felt her skin burst into flames. "You mean to tell me," she started slowly, her teeth grinding themselves. "That, Jean De Bancalis Gaul is in England?"

"As is Monsieur Gual, Estrella and Karina."

"For God's sake." she breathed.

She saw the duke of Lancaster climb the dais where the king's throne sat and lightly hit a teaspoon against a glass.

"Settle down Lords and Ladies, as we welcome the King-my friend-Lord Protector of England, King Richard II"

The hall erupted into applause. Amanda tried to keep the fast-slipping smile on her face since François spoke, Queen Helen flanked by women of high breathing wrinkled her nose slightly. She never did like the Lancastrian, too crude and tasteless, that one.