Debuts and Other Mishaps

Chapter nine

England was even worse after one's debut. She hoped to say that, soon. Because nothing got better in this bloody country. Since the king had fixed her entrance ball at a palpable date, her mood had significantly improved, even her maidservant had commented on it. It wasn't so hard, was it? Give a woman what she wants and you will live in peace. Scorn her, on the other hand...

She was yet to see Francois after his great announcement, Amanda felt a bit better that the news reaching Guy would be in her favour, for once. There was plenty to do, the cursed king had indeed fixed her ball but he barely gave her any time to prepare for it. She didn't plan on complaining because these Englishmen were evil, he could see her complaint as a leeway to take away this which was almost within her grasp.

She idly wondered, not wanting to know what made him change his mind. She had known that the man had hoped to chase her back to France by boring her out of her mind, but he calculated wrong. Dying out of boredom in England was a much better fate than what waited for her were she to return to France in defeat.

*+*

"You say John came up with this?"

"Accurate. He has always been the best at the game, his mind is mathematical."

"I am greatly impressed," Williams said sitting down, his voice reflecting his wonder. "Even I couldn't think this up. It has Michael's touch, however."

Richard laughed shortly. "Everything john does has Michael's fingerprint. It is almost like they share one brain. It's-"

"I know," Williams replied. They sat in silence before the earl decided to speak up again. " Do you think it would work?"

Richard laughed again, the sound as genuine as the last. It warmed the earl's heart, it was good to see his friend laugh without the burden of England crushing him. Williams had feared that he would lose his friend to premature death caused by the extreme weight of ruling England and the perpetual lack of things that made him happy.

"If it doesn't work then  we come up with another plot, progressively worse."

"Williams, England is a country designed to drive a foreigner mad, one of them would work on her, I don't mind how long. I hope she doesn't give in easily as plotting one's demise is a lot more invigorating than going for a walk."

The earl smiled.

*+*

Amanda wondered if Madame would be able to tailor a dress and have it sent here to her before her entrance ball. She would rather shoot herself in the foot than wear one of the queen's accursed gowns.

"Run along now, I want it to set sail on the fastest ship to France."

"Yes, my lady."

Amanda put down her quill and wondered at Francois's absence, it was unlike him to leave her side during such critical moments. Not that he was much help but having a familiar face close by was assuring. She decides to go for a walk, after all, she was about to become a highly important member of this court, and it was time to integrate herself and begin to familirize herself. She wrapped a shawl around her neck and pulled on gloves. The English weather was strange; it could be as hot as a fireplace in a moment and become very frigid the very next moment. The best one was always prepared. Should she prepare an umbrella? She debated. No?

She slowly left her room and lazily began to trail the corridors of England, both guards solidly behind her and the key to her room deep within the recess of her gown.