Pauly leans back. "Nah. They're not so bad. My father is John's little brother. Years apart in age. My father is a business man back home. He hasn't had much time to put up with his hell raising son's bullshit. My mother didn't know what else to do with me, she thought spending some time with John and Lex would help me out."

"Has it?"

"I haven't been to jail lately, so maybe."

His easy going attitude about it stuns me a bit.

"You've been to jail?"

He grins. "Twice as a matter of fact. Stealing car and such is against the law, ya know?"

"Pauly," I mumble surprised.

"Trying to do anything to get they're attentions. Just went about it the wrong way. I was born in Sicily, but grew up in the streets of New York. With my parents both working all the time and being left alone most of the time, I sort of got mixed up with the wrong people."

"Your parents are both too busy?" I ask.

"My mother tried sitting me straight for years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not her 'baby boy' or even the favorite son but it just got to the point where she didn't know what else to do."

I nod. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Being sent here has saved my life. Lex and John are good people."

"You said your father was a business man. What does he do?"

He grins again. That crooked devil may care grin.

"It's the family business. John ran it in L.A. and Lex runs it here. My father runs it in New York. That's the life."

My brows narrow. "What are you talking about? Runs what?"

Pauly looked at me then. Searching with his eyes.

"You don't know do you?"

"What?"

"Lex and John. They... You what, I better not say. Ask Oscar."

I grab his arm. "Pauly, please. I want to know."

He sighs. From in the livingroom I can hear Lex grumbling at Oscar to sit still. He hadn't liked my touching Pauly's arm.

"The D'Amore family is directly link to the Italian Mafia. The branches have spread out but our family comes from Sicily."

I blink at him. "Mafia? What are you talking about?"

He raises a brow at me. "Haven't you ever wondered where all their money and power came from? They built up the family. One day Oscar will take over for Lex. And I will take over for my father. Maybe... I still haven't decided."

"Huh?"

"We kinda stick to our own though. Trying not to get too much attention to the family name. That's why I was sent down here. I had gotten caught twice. Too much attention on the family. I had to get my shit together. If they ever started looking too close, they'd find more than just a few stolen cars."

"They?"

"The Feds. We try to keep our heads low and keep it moving. We've done a lot of work though. Even some for the Five Families of New York. Pretty good people, I think. But Lex wants little to do with the big gangs anymore. Having a young family will do that is what John says." He pauses and then "But if you ask me, I think Lex will change his mind about New York, one day."

I try to understand but it's all too much. I knew that Lex had a lot of pull and power but I had never really understood why or how. I remember a conversation a while back with Mia. She had said then that Oscar would one day take on a role of power and that if I were to stay with him, I'd need to realize what I was getting into.
Good Lord, Oscar would one day become a gang leader. He would be responsible for this family and 'the life' they would lead. What the hell would he do when he took on such a role? I look over at Oscar again. He is the crown prince of the family. And also my man.
When the tattoo was over. Oscar showed me the rose tattoo in honor of his family. In between the roses was a black snake that curled around.

It represents and sums up his life

It represents and sums up his life. Lex can do beautiful work. As it turns out so does Chris, Seth's tattoo is similar to Oscar's with a few differences. Both were art to be proud of. Pauly sits next. Taking the opportunity that Lex offered.
Mia showed up a little later to look at her son's arm.

"My goodness, Lex. You out did yourself."

Then she looked at Seth's upper arm.

"And that Chris, never disappoints."

Both men thanked Mia and Jessy for the compliments. As I watched the family together, I can't help but think, how in the world could they be a gang family?