Twelve

 After they had handled business in London, it took the couple a few days to get back to Birmingham, this time they were faster because they were taking turns steering and could drive through the night

After they had handled business in London, it took the couple a few days to get back to Birmingham, this time they were faster because they were taking turns steering and could drive through the night. Whenever it was Curly's turn, the two lovers would disappear under deck to sleep on the floor on the little mattress they had put there before leaving Birmingham, though Ruby was glad when they arrived late in the evening and she could finally sleep in a proper bed again. Not her bed though, because when they got to Charlie's Yard, she had been fast asleep and Tommy had carried her to his flat and tucked them both under the covers.

It was Ruby who woke up first, when the first rays of sunlight made their way through the windows of Tommy's bedroom. She was laying on her lovers chest, with his arm neatly tucked around her and when Tommy woke up he looked down at her, with sleepy eyes.
Whispers filled the air before Tommy got out of bed to make some tea. It was a peaceful morning and Tommy wished that there would be many more like this to come.
After sipping their tea in bed, they both got up and made themselves ready to go to the betting shop, to congratulate Polly for her birthday.

No one ever knew when it was Polly's birthday, so she was surprised when people started clapping after she had come into the store. She was even more surprised to see her whole family there, especially Thomas and Ruby, who were the first to hug her and wish her well. Tommy had told Ruby on the way to the betting shop about the house he had bought Polly and that he wanted to ask for her permission to search for her kids, so when Tommy told John and Finn to bring the car around, she was excited what the Gray woman would say about the presents.

Ruby herself didn't go with the Shelby's, instead she went to work, because she had a lot of work to do since she had been gone for a couple of days. When she saw how her desk had piled up, she knew it would be a long day for her.

Tommy came by the office once his day was over to pick up Ruby from work. He told her how happy Polly was when he had told her that he would be looking for her children and Ruby was happy for Polly, she wished she could see her kids again soon. They talked about business for a bit, Ruby handing him his letters, pointing out a letter that came all the way from New York.
„Oh, and the decorators doing the Garrison want paying. Arthur forgot and pulled a gun on them when they asked." She sighed. „I tried calming them down, but they're very angry. They've stopped working and now everything's green."
Tommy rolled his eyes at his brothers behaviour.
„All right, just pay it. And we need to put an advert in the Mail: Garrison. Grand Reopening." Ruby noted that in the diary and nodded. "Alright."
"I'll be ready in 10 minutes, I just need to write a letter that has to go out tomorrow." With that he turned and went into his office and Ruby started cleaning up her desk to leave. Once she was finished, she joined him at his desk, standing behind him whilst sliding her hands down his chest.
"Dear Mr. Churchill,..." She read the first line of his letter, wondering what Tommy would write him. He finished the letter with his signature and folded it to fit into an envelope.
"You writing to the big people now, eh?" She teased him, kissing the skin above the collar of his shirt. He hummed, enjoying the affection while he stuffed his letter in an envelope and sealed it shut. He then threw the letter on the desk, turned towards her in his office chair and pulled her on his lap, Ruby letting out a surprised squeal at the sudden movement, and then blushing at the way she was straddling him. Their lips collided in a rather heated manner, though it was soothing how Tommy's hands traveled over her back, exploring every inch of her. It felt like forever until they parted, Tommy's hands suddenly opening the buttons at the front of her dress to which her hand flew to his, stopping him.
"Tom, I..." she shook her head and Tommy's eyes widened in realisation.
„We'll take our time, whenever you're ready, okay?"