Chapter 2 - Emma

Walking into the halls of the dormitories makes my stomach flip, doing a full 360. I'm annoyed my mom wasn't able to join me, to hold my hand or something, to be by my side. But I know she's going through a stressful time at work so I let it slip, but I hope she will at least come visit me for a little bit this week.

Going into my room, i instantly regret deciding on getting the cheapest option I could find. The other options were affordable too, so why did I have to pick this shared one meter square room that has absolutely no space for even half a person? Where do I even can put half of my stuff? And how the hell will another roommate fit in here? Who will my roommate even be? I hope she's nice, unless this whole experience won't be what I expected. But I'm getting ahead of myself and thinking too much.

Speaking of thinking too much, I know exactly the thing that will help me get in the right mood and start this day the best way possible. I grab my earbuds from my backpack and plug them, then I press shuffle on the playlist I made of my favorite band, the one I listened to on my first ever live concert with Beck. Since then I fell in love with them, and I've been listening to their songs nonstop for three years. I tried making Kyle listen to them a few times, he said that they're nice but nothing more. The guy just doesn't know how to appreciate good music.

Dancing to the sweet melody of the lead singer telling the false story of a forbidden romance, I suddenly feel a light tap on my shoulder, I jump and turn around to see a tall girl with big brown eyes and blonde hair, and she's smiling at me a big broad and welcoming smile. I remove the earbuds from my ears and apologize for the scenery of me awkwardly swaying while unfolding clothes on my tiny bed.

"I'm Alicia, but people call me Alice or A." She announces. I figure she's a well-loved person since she mentioned 'people' and not just 'friends'. And honestly, she does seem like a girl I'd be friends with... As long as she doesn't hide any skeletons in her closet. "Nice to meet you I'm Emilia, but I go for Emma most of the time". I smile at my new roommate, and my heart comes to a peace with itself.

Alice and I spent the rest of the day just arranging our small room and talking about each other's lives. Alice told me she's bisexual, and that her current girlfriend whom she met on her senior year of high school is called Lydia, they've been together for almost 3 years, but her mother denies her relationship and sexual orientation. I feel bad for her, since I know that if it was for me, my mom would've accepted me with open arms, but it's not my place to judge.

We also went over our schedules, and I discovered that she takes 2 classes with me, and she majors in music. I'm glad for her that she's majoring in something she likes even if it's against her parents' will, her interests should stay this way, hers. And she can take her future wherever she wants to take it. And if she chooses music, then music it is.
By the time we both agreed that to increase our communication slowly but surely, we need to get a few minutes by the end of the day to just talk about things and set plans, it's time to go to sleep. It's not that late, but we've tired ourself out for the day. Overall, I think I'll do good here, just like Kyle said.

The next day when I wake up Alice is already gone. Her first day started with an early morning run with her PE class. I like sports, but running early in the morning is just not for me, and there are many more PE classes for this school to offer so I think I'm good. I pack my backpack with some notebooks and a fresh banana and go straight to calculus. I actually like calculus, which makes me different than most people I know, I just like having my brain functioning and solving a problem by myself and not just throwing all the texts I've memorized onto a paper like most of the other classes. Calculus class is about to start in a few minutes and I see that most of the class is filled. I find a seat in a row in the back and organize my stuff in front of me.

Class goes fine, I solve a few of the equations on board and even have spare few minutes to get ready for the next class. As I finish putting my things in my bag, my eyes rise to the front rows, I look at the back of my classmates but one of them stands out. His figure is quite taller than others, even when seated. He has a light brown hair that goes up a little, looks like he's taken time in the morning to get it like it. And that is probably the last bright thing about his back appearance because the rest is all black. Black leather jacket, black ripped jeans and black boots that cross each other as he seats at most comfort. I don't know why I keep looking at the guy, but I realize that I'm practically staring at the oblivious poor boy as I hear the very nice young girl that hits my shoulder to get my attention. "Sorry," I apologize quickly and get up from my seat and find my way out of the class.

The rest of the day goes by brightly, I enjoy each and every minute of the day, and by 5pm it's time to go back to my dorm. I'm about to enter my key in the lock as the door swings open, revealing Alice holding a laptop case in hand. "Hey Emma! How was your first day at NUP?" She squeals with excitement, yet seems as if she doesn't want me to start babbling for long about my day, "It was really good," I say with shared excitement, "Where are you headed to?" I start feeling the same as her for wanting to end this conversation as soon as possible, I'm tired as hell and I'm ready to switch into my pajamas and watch some netflix. "I'm going to study with some friends, but hey listen," She begins, "There's a concert in one of the fraternity houses tomorrow, they do this every year for the opening of the school year but I've heard that today they host this new singer who's super talented and sexy and, wait for it, goes here!" She seems enthusiastic about the thing, and I'm happy for her, I want my new friend to have a good time, but I just can't find the strength in me to show excitement.

"That's good, well enjoy your study party." I walk into the dorm room and am about to close the door but she prevents me from doing so by holding the door with her hand. "Wait," she starts, "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come with me..?" She replies, half asking. "Oh no, Alice, I don't think those things are exactly my thing and..."

"Oh come on! This is a tradition! And besides, this is super close to here so you can go back whenever you want. If I'm not enough then even ask your boyfriend to come to keep you accompanied, Pretty please?" She makes this puppy look in her eyes and I roll mine in return. This imagine brings me back 3 years ago, when my best friend Beck called to invite me on a concert that I didn't want to go to, Where I fell in love with my favorite band ever and had the time of my life.

Realizing this couldn't be a bad idea, I just sigh and agree, she claps her hands together and says "Can't wait!" Then she wanders off. I text Kyle all the details, he agrees as well and I go back to my pajama and netflix plans.