Chapter 3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rhae had been riding for hours on end through the same landscape for miles. No hills, mountains, trees, cities nor roads —aside from the one the Dothraki horde are making— were spotted; only endless tall grass half the size of their horses as far as the eye can see.

When the wind would blow, the grass rippled, resembling waves on the ocean.

Rhae shifts her gaze to what lays ahead of her horse's ears and quickly catches sight of Daenerys. She's standing off to the side on her Silver in the distance.

Rhae nudges her painted mare into a smooth trot, then slows her back to a walk once she's close to Dany to not needing to trot. She pulls back on the reins, stopping next to Daenerys —but she doesn't notice, too lost in thought as she looks the complete opposite direction.

"How are you doing?" Daenerys gasps, snapping her head to Rhae. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," Rhae laughed lightly under her breath

"It's quite alright. I've gotten quite used to you scaring me," Daenerys laughed smally in return.

"Yeah, I mean, it's not like you raised me or anything .  .  ." Rhae drawled sarcastically, smirking when she met her sister's blue eyes.

Daenerys shakes her head, a small smile gracing her lips, "I can always count on your sarcasm to cheer me up."

"You can count on me for anything," Rhae said softly, "you know that, right?"

"Yes .  .  ."

Rhae could tell she wanted to say more, but Dany was afraid to. "Tell me what's wrong," she used the same, gentle tone Dany uses on Rhae.

"It's nothing you need to worry abo—"

"If it concerns you I do." Rhae cut. Daenerys shook her head, lips parting to speak, but Rhae doesn't let her. "Please, just tell me. I need to know what's going on so I can help you, Dany."

"You can't help me with this .  .  ." she whispered sadly. "He hurts me every night and every night I am scared. Viserys said to make him happy, but I don't know how."

I move my horse up a little closer so I'm right beside her and lean over to grab her hand, "It may not seem like it but it'll get better. It may take some time but when the Khal truly knows the real you, not the you that Viserys wants you to be, he will love you. More than you'll ever know." She looks to me and gives me a small smile which I return. I release her hand and sit back up to resituate myself on my horse. "As for to make him happy, ask. Ask one of the handmaidens Viserys bought for you." I shrug my shoulders

"How do you know Viserys bought me handmaidens?"

"Because the night of your wedding, him and Illyrio were discussing which women would be suitable handmaidens for you."

"And you're sure of this?" She asks unsure.

"Of course I'm sure. You have three. And I overheard that one of them has a specialty in pleasing men." Daenerys looks at me wide eyed, "Sometimes being with him has its perks, you learn a thing or two."

"How were able to find this out?" She tilts her head a little.

"Very carefully."

Before she could respond a voice cuts her off,
"You need to drink children. And eat." Ser Jorah says. He situates his horse next to me and hands me two pieces of meat, which I hand one to my sister. Daenerys grabs it and looks at it weirdly.

"Isn't there anything else?" She questions.

"The Dothraki have two things in abundance, grass and horses. People can't live on grass."

I look at the meat in my hands disgusted, not wanting to eat horse meat. I look at Daenerys and watch her take a small bite of it. She looks at me and nods her head saying it's okay. I look back to the meat in my hands and take a small bite. I didn't realise how hungry I was until I bit into the meat. I started taking bigger bites and hum in satisfaction. I see Daenerys look at me from the corner of my eye with a small smile.

"The Shadow Lands beyond Asshai. They say there are fields of ghost grass, with stalks as pale as milkglass. It murders all other grass. The Dothraki believe that one day it'll cover everything and that's the way the world with end." Ser Jorah informs us. I look all around me, imagining what Ser Jorah told us.

"It'll get easier."

I hear Ser Jorah's voice. I look at him and see his mouth parted open with sorry eyes as he looks to Daenerys. As soon as I look at her, she quickly looks away and starts to walk off.

"What was that about?" I turn to face Ser Jorah.

"Khal Drogo." He says sort and softly. I sigh and nod my head in understanding and kick my horse forward with Ser Jorah following.

"She's a strong one, your sister . . ." Rhae looked at Ser Jorah. He watched Daenerys in admiration.

Rhae shifts her gaze to Daenerys and smiles, "She's the strongest person I know. She took care of me when she was just five years old. Viserys helped of course, but Daenerys always told me he was forced to take care of me because she was still so young. And when she got old enough to not need Viserys' help, she did everything. From teaching me to walk, talk .  .  . everything I know today."

Ser Jorah looks at the young girl, his expression unreadable before his attention is shifted to the ground, lost for words. "I didn't know that .  .  . I thought maybe a maester helped, somehow. I guess I don't know the story as well as I thought."

Rhae laughs lightly at his sarcastic remark," There were no maester's. The night Daenerys was born was the night Viserys fled from Dragonstone, with baby Daenerys of course. They were supposed to sail to Essos with a group of Targaryen loyalists, but the winds were so harsh, it blew them off course," she turns her head, looking over her pony's ears. "They ended sailing into King's Landing. When they arrived

"There were no maesters. The night Daenerys was born was the night Viserys fled from Dragonstone, with Daenerys of course. They were suppose to sail to Essos with a group of Targaryen loyalists but the winds were so harsh, it blew them off course." I turn my head to look ahead, "They ended up sailing into King's Landing. When they arrived, the ship was destroyed from the storm and the supplies gone. So for five years they stayed there. Viserys got many jobs to help make money while dyeing his and Dany's hair so no one knew they were in King's Landing. His last job was at a brothel. On his last day, Daenerys wanted to go with him to get his money and that's when guards were scattered on ever street breaking into every possible building to find a whore pregnant with King Aerys' bastard child."

I looked to Ser Jorah to see his mouth open and eyes widen in shock. "You didn't have to tell me..." he says softly.

"I know. But I wanted to." I smile to him which he returns.

"Thank you for telling me, Inavva ki Khaleesi."

"What does that mean?"

"Sister of Khaleesi." I smile and whisper to myself,

"Inavva ki Khaleesi..."