Holidays 2023

December 21st, 2023

December 21st, 2023

When Lorelai and Harry spoke about their Christmas trip to Hawaii this holiday season, most of their relatives started off jealous that they would be able to celebrate in warmer weather. But then each time they would see the jealousy fade as they realized the couple was going to put themselves through it by bringing a seven month old baby along for those long flight times. Including the layover in Los Angeles, the trip would take well over twenty hours, and they'd have to do it twice in a matter of two weeks.

Yes, when they got off the plane in Hawaii, the parents were well exhausted while their son, Wyatt, looked like he was prepared to keep them awake for as long as possible. But the joke didn't feel like it was on them, because they were still in Hawaii, were going to spend the next two weeks together as a small happy family on the beaches while their families had to suffer through the miserable cold. Oh no, they won big time.

"This is it," Harry mumbles with half lidded eyes. He's carrying most of their luggage on his back and rolling three suitcases around them. He dips the hotel key card into the slot on the door and opens it after the beep. He gestures Lorelai to head in before him with a sleepy smile.

Lorelai carries one of their carry on bags on her shoulder and Wyatt against her chest. The baby's taken to pulling her hair lately and currently he has a huge chunk of her hair grasped in his little fingers. She steps into the room first and flicks the lights on. The first room was a living room, equipped with a sofa, chairs, a coffee table, a television, and a fireplace. A balcony was attached to this room with a small sitting area so they could look over the beach in front of the hotel. They walk into the bedroom, which was filled with a king-sized bed, a baby crib as per requested, a closet, dresser, the typical hotel room things.

Harry pushes their suitcases to the side for now until they can find the energy to unpack later. He sticks his arms out towards Lorelai after she tries, and fails miserably, to hide another painful gasp. "Come on bugger, come to daddy. Mumma likes her hair on her head."

Wyatt only lets go of the hair after a little coaxing, and then joyfully falls into his father's arms. Lorelai collapses on their bed with a soft thud. She lets her eyes shut momentarily, feeling the bed dip under Harry's weight right next to her. She opens her eyes to him bouncing Wyatt on his knee, the baby falling into a fit of giggles at the bumping motion.

"He needs to be fed, and then a bath," Harry murmurs while brushing back that boys short curls. "You sleep, I'll take care of him."

Lorelai starts to sit up, ready to refuse, but Harry places a hand on her thigh.

"It's okay. You entertained him for most of the plane ride, I can take over for now."

"I'll just take a quick nap," she relents.

But a quick nap turned into nearly four hours. She honestly would have slept longer, would have never woken up, if the last time she'd eaten was on the plane, and even that she barely touched what the flight attendants had given her. She rubs her hand over her face, slightly miffed that Harry never bothered to wake her so he could take time for himself to rest, but as she padded into the living room any negative feelings she had melted away.