Chapter Six

January 7th

Lorelai did not want to interview for a job as Xavier Styles' assistant. She wanted nothing more to do with the Styles', and if she got the job then she most definitely would not want to admit that Harry had helped her do so. But she desperately needed a job. She did not want to move back in with her parents or Jones who had offered to house her for a while, and not because she was too embarrassed or too prideful to do it. Lorelai didn't want to move away from London. Sure, she didn't have many friends here, or any for that matter, but the city called to her like it was always where she was meant to be.

So Lorelai sucked it up and gave Xavier a call after the New Year started, and after a short interview earlier this morning he instantly gave her the job. It was nice to have this to fall back onto, but she promised herself that this job would only be temporary. She would look for other jobs while working for Xavier, and when she finds one she will rid herself of all Styles' for the rest of her life.

"I haven't had an assistant in quite some time," Xavier notifies her as he shows her to a desk outside of his office. "So it might take me some time to get used to."

Harry looked so much like his Uncle Xavier that it was almost uncanny. From their freakishly tall height to their bright green eyes, Lorelai could definitely see the family resemblance. The only difference was that Xavier's hair was a sandy blonde that was starting to turn gray. All this did for Lorelai was further prove one of her theories about Harry, that he and his family were just a bunch of clones sent to Earth to ruin everyone's life.

Except Xavier was so much nicer than Harry. In place of Harry's snarl, Xavier was always smiling at her and being respectful to her. Being a nice human being must skip a generation, Lorelai thinks to herself.

Lorelai sets her bag down on the desk and turns to smile politely to him. "Well, just think of it this way. Whenever there's a part of your job that comes up that you don't want to do, the tedious work, just give me a call and I'll get it done for you."

Xavier shakes his head in amusement before walking off towards his office. "Get yourself settled, and in about an hour or so I'll be emailing you something that I'll need to be faxed over to another doctor. Faxing might be my least favorite part of the job."

Lorelai frowns, which Xavier thankfully doesn't catch because he's already shut his office door behind him. Another thing that Styles' have in common, she supposes.

Lorelai sits down at the chair provided for her, and clicks the computer mouse twice. Xavier Styles owned his own medical practice, naturally. He's a cognitive behavioral therapist for children and teenagers, meaning he helped his patients confront any types of problems they were having and help them get better. Lorelai really respected him for his work; it was much better being a assistant for him than for a divorce lawyer.

As it was the first day the practice was open since the New Year started, Xavier was taking the day to settle back into the work setting and would start seeing patients the following day. Lorelai types in her new login information that Xavier had given her, and luckily she finally gets it right on the third try. After signing into her new email as well, Lorelai takes a moment to text Jones and her mother that she's gotten this new job. She knows they will be pleased with how much more money she'll be making as well.

The hour passed by slowly, but finally Xavier sent her the documents that needed to be faxed. She's about to print them out when the phone on her desk begins to ring. After quickly clearing her throat, she picks the phone up and pressed it to her ear.

"Hello, this is Xavier Styles' office. How may I help you?" Lorelai attempts to keep her voice as bright and chipper as possible.

"So my brother finally got himself an assistant, eh?" There was a man on the other side of the phone, and his rough voice instantly makes Lorelai tense up for two reasons. One, unless Harry had another uncle then Lorelai was currently speaking to his father. And two, just by the way he spoke Lorelai could tell that he was even worse than Harry, and he'd only said one thing to her.