Chapter 5: Connection

Rey's POV:

In the morning I wake up and head for the mess hall, I'm not hungry but I did enjoy chatting with Finn, Poe, and BB-8. After excusing myself, I attempt to get back into my old training routine Leia taught me. I just want to be ready in case the Resistance needs my help again anytime soon. When it comes to me practicing with my lightsaber techniques I really wished I had someone just as skilled as me to practice with. In the middle of a swing, I felt the bond connect and in front of me stood Ben, he looked like how he did right before he died. I fell on to my knees and hung my head refusing to look up at him. "This is not real, this is a trick," I say in a voice so small and weak that it cracks. I turn off the saber and hug myself tight as I begin to cry. "Come on Rey get up. I know you can't see or hear me right now, but I know you have never been one to cut practice short. No matter your mood or what's going on." The illusion states. He squats down in front of me and places a hand on my right shoulder. "Please?" He half asks, half begging as he rests his forehead on top of my head. I slowly tilt my head up until our eyes meet. "Ben?" I ask as I bring one of my hands up to his cheek. We both stand up in surprise. Ben pulls me close for a kiss that is long and full of longing. He caresses my cheek with one hand, as we pull away slightly. He keeps his other hand firm on my waist, not wanting to let me go far. "Rey, I am always here whether you can see me or not. However, I need your help. I am stuck somewhere between where you are and where the force ghost is, we are not exactly sure why." I stare up at him blankly still trying to process everything that is going on, "Rey I need your help, but Rey you have to know that I lo..." just then the force connection is lost.

Ben's POV:

...ve you!" As the force connection is lost, I instantly know she doesn't hear the rest of my confession. "It's okay Ben, I am sure she will understand." My mother states as she comes over to give me a comforting hug. I watch Rey as she shakes her head. I watch as she yells at herself for seeing me. She thinks what had just happened had been an illusion constructed by her own mind. She yells at herself for torturing herself by allowing herself any kind of hope of it actually being me. My heart can not help but break knowing I am causing her this much pain. "So you guys are still able to use the bond to some extent." Luke flatly states. I look over at my uncle and glare at him. "Let's work on getting this part of your bond under control. That way we can use it to your advantage." My grandfather adds in.