FORTY-SIX || PAYNE

Começar do início

I am baffled by how hot and cold we can be. One moment fighting, the next desiring.

"Come here," She tells me, barely looking over her shoulder... not even making eye contact.

"I like this vantage point," I reply, keeping my determination on her.

Suddenly her silhouette moves out of the steam into crisp clarity, her bare feet padding towards me while her naked body drips with moisture on the floor.

She is bold as she grabs my shirt at the chest, tugging me towards the shower.

"Come here," She says again, this time demanding and laden with need.

Maybe it's the argument we just had, the reality of the situation, but it all layers over each other as she makes me undress, my pride unraveling right under her stare.

When I finally step into the shower, my lips go straight for her neck and her fingertips rake against my bare torso with no time to waste.

///

I can feel Derek's nervousness as he watches vehicles back out of the garage, preparing to venture out of our territory to find allies on foot and by car.

"Do they have to take all of them?" He grumbles warily, his gaze following his favorite Jeep.

"We have to cover miles of ground within hours, Derek," I state simply, folding my arms across my chest. "All while simultaneously attacking a Province."

He shakes his head, turning away from the mass of people on the front lawn of the mansion. Probably so they don't see his apprehension.

He keeps his words hushed. "Is this going to work?" He asks me, worry etched in his face.

"I don't know," I answer honestly, a ball of anxiety rolling circles in my stomach. "We have to at least try."

"Liam will have reinforcements in his own territory regardless if he's there or not," Derek explains. "It will be a bloodbath if we don't have a thorough plan."

I glance at him briefly, replaying the strategy in my head on a loop. "That's why only three wolves and three leopards are infiltrating the Payne Province," I answer. "The less of us in the crossfire, the better."

"The less of us, the more territory to cover..." Derek thinks aloud, countering me as always.

"Stop doubting and get the group ready to leave," I comment in annoyance.

Derek gives me a lazy salute, heading down to the frost-covered lawn where the Victor clan and Gabe are waiting instructions next to the SUV, Jesse already in the driver's seat.

Footsteps approach me from behind, and Grayson's voice is calm against the winter air.

"The mansion is prepared for lockdown as you requested," He says. I turn to face him, and his expression is stern with duty.

I nod once, taking note of Amethyst hovering near the front doors in the background. "Thank you, Grayson."

"Harry, why did you ask me to stay here? Again?" He asks, catching me off guard.

I step towards him, putting a hand on his shoulder. I can feel the uneasiness pulsing through his sweatshirt.

"I asked you to stay because you have been a friend to Amethyst," I reply lowly, unafraid to tell him the truth. "If anything were to happen to me, I feel confident knowing you would take care of her."

Grayson nods in understanding, but his eyebrows quickly scrunch into a frown. "This isn't a opportunity for redemption from last time, is it?"

His question makes me smile in response, tightening my hold on his shoulder. "Call it whatever you'd like."