Chapter 15: A Sad Valentine

Start from the beginning

She saw Tobias smiled widely, and grinned. The sound of Chloe's giggling echoed through the hallway and Emily had to look down at her own presents - same flower, cupcake and card. Will he be able to forgive her?

"I'm done! Oh my god - he loved my present. Now, it's your turn - I'm sure he's somewhere at the dungeons or - there he is! Just next to the Great Hall all alone. What could be more perfect?"

Emily glued her back to the wall and clutched her cupcake till the surface bumped up a little." This is seriously not happening to my life..."

"You can do this!"

"Chloe, just a helpful reminder, Tom isn't like Tobias, who smiled kindly to everyone and made everything alright!"

"Yeah, but -" Chloe huffed, "Just make it fast."

Emily took her steps hesitantly, and the time that she had was painfully slow. She was just a few steps to him when her voice took control, "Tom?" she spoke as gentle as the wind.

He stopped walking forward and stood there, back facing her. Then, he quickly sprinted and make his way downstairs.

"Tom!" she raced and quickly blocked his way to see him scowling at her.

"Well? Have you -" he looked down at her valentine's presents that Emily was holding so tightly.

"Save it," he growled, "That's not going to change my mind."

"Wait!" she caught hold of his arm which he pulled it back roughly, annoyed.

"Please! I didn't mean to, I'll make it up to you! Just take these -" she handed it out nicely to him, but Tom smacked the cupcake harshly that it flew out of her hands and landed on the cold ground.

"Pathetic,"he snickered," Very pathetic. Goodbye, Vance, "he walked off just like that without a trace of sympathy.

The tears build up in her eyes and she quickly wiped it. Emily knelt down and picked it up. She was glad that the cupcake was stored into a plastic container that muggle used for packaging.

Her tears kept flowing out like an uncontrollable pipe. How embarrassing that was! Emily threw the flower onto the ground and left it there. She crouched as long as she could, looking at the smudged pastry when someone's urgent footsteps echoed behind her.

"Emily? What are you - Merlin, are you alright?" Connor walked in front of her.

She bit her lips. Emily could cry silently sometimes. There was no loud sobs so no one could suspect that she was doing it unless they faced her.

"Here, take this," he passed a handkerchief for her which she scrubbed her face with it.

"Hey.. You can talk to me. I'm free to listen," he pulled her up and made her sit down on a seat.

"What's wrong, Emily? Did you - you must've got rejected by Riddle. Was it that harsh?"

She nodded her head and wiped her tears again. "He threw my presents down.."

"It's all right," he patted her shoulder, "You shouldn't have done it!"

"Chloe insisted me on doing it! I thought he would - he would -"

"Shhh. It's okay, I'm here for you. You don't need to push yourself this far, Emily."

"I want to. But I failed again, didn't I?"

"Don't you worry!" Connor grinned, "I can kick him in the arse if you want - that git!"

Emily laughed quietly, "Stop with your jokes! They're not funny."

Connor pinched her cheeks, "Then why are you laughing, huh? Why are you laughing?"

Emily giggled and pushed his hands away, "Oh your handkerchief! I dirtied it - sorry."

"You can keep it. Damn, I have quidditch practice in fifteen minutes! Gotta catch that snitch for hufflepuff, eh?"

"Okay. Good luck!" she waved and Connor pulled something out from his pocket.

"Oh- happy valentine," he pressed the bonquet of roses that popped out from his hands into her palms.

"What? Where did they came from?"

"Perhaps that's a question that you need to find out. See you, Emily," he strolled away until he was out of sight.

*******
"Damn it! Damn it all!" Tom cursed silently as soon night fell and walked hurriedly back to where he had ditched her.

That look on her face! He had almost pulled her into a hug but he just simply shoved the presents out of her hands. He could not show sympathy to people who tend to make him feel angry.

Now, where was it? Some idiot couldn't have picked it up and crushed flowers like stupid Abraxas Malfoy!

Tom restrain himself from charging towards the camelian flower lying on the ground, still as fresh as ever.

He picked it up carefully and stroked its petals as if it was her hair. Looking suspiciously around, he put it gently into his robes and sneaked back into the night.