Much to Barty's Horror

Start from the beginning

As soon as Sirius was turned back, the muzzle disappeared. Sirius hid behind Harry, though said animagus would deny it to his dying day, and glared at Tom.

"He's evil," he stated, with a firm nod. As if he was imparting Harry with the absolute truth and nothing else.

"Why thank you," Tom said with a smug smirk and Harry sighed. The two, physical, adults in the room, were behaving like children.

"I should have guessed that you would consider that a compliment," Sirius muttered.

"Would both of you stop it?" Harry asked, feeling a little exasperation slipping into his mood, "You are behaving like a couple of unruly first-year Hufflepuffs." It was difficult to come up with something that would be equally insulting to both Sirius and Tom, but, seeing their expressions, being compared to Hufflepuffs seemed to do the trick. "Now, take us to Grimmauld Place, Sirius. Barty can only cover for me for a few hours, so I can't linger long."

"You've been getting along well with Barty," Tom remarked, getting up from his seat.

"I like him," he replied with a soft smile, taking Tom's hand when said Dark Lord refused to be apparated by Sirius. Sirius grumbled and popped away, leaving them both alone, "He's so alive. So passionate about life. I think he's my favorite." A second or two later, they popped away too, Harry completely missed Tom narrowing his eyes slightly.

"Charming," Tom remarked as soon as they arrived and he looked around. "The last time I was here the street didn't look so worn out."

"In the late sixties. Orion, your mutt's father, and I were friends."

"Never heard you refer to anyone as your friend," Harry remarked softly, studying Tom's expression.

"No, I guess you wouldn't have," it was a low whisper and Harry almost didn't catch it, "I think by the time that people started to know me as Lord Voldemort, I had lost any and all attachments. I saw it as a weakness and did everything I could to rid myself of them. Of course, Orion and Abraxas were always rather stubborn, they never did truly cast me aside."

"Good friends, then," Harry replied.

"Yes, I suppose they were," a little smile appeared on Tom's lips and Harry couldn't help but smile as well.

"It's done," Sirius said, getting their attention. "I had to work on the wards a little. The house has been on lock-down since my mother's death," he explained, opening the door for them.

Harry stepped through first, Tom following right behind him. He looked around and almost chuckled. It looked as bad as he remembered from his fifth year.

"Call your elf," Harry told Sirius as soon as the door was closed. He wanted to be gone as soon as possible.

"Kreacher," Sirius called, scowling when the elf appeared in front of them.

Before Kreacher could say anything, Harry spoke.

"Kreacher, I am here to help you with your Master Regulus's last order."

The elf looked at him, ignoring everyone else. Harry ignored Sirius's look as well. He knew he would have to explain a lot of things, but it wasn't the right time. Besides, he didn't really want Sirius to know. Harry knew that Sirius wouldn't understand Harry's blood-lust, his need to see them suffer, to hear them beg and scream.

A look of recognition passed through the elf's eyes and tears welled up in the elf's eyes.

The elf walked up and hugged Harry, confusing the other two in the room. Harry paled and stiffened, but hugged back.