Chapter Nineteen

The rest of my day passed in a blur. Halle, Beth, Lily, and I all ate lunch together. Then it was off to my afternoon classes. At last, the bell rang to signal the end of school.

Grinning with relief, Lily and I rushed out of my final class. My injured foot was sore from so much walking today, but the doctor had said this was how it would heal.

Lily and I met up with Halle and Beth. We all walked back to Engerwood so that they could change for their riding lessons. Dressed in white skinny jeans, a bold black tank top, aviator sunglasses and medium brown knee-high boots, I was surely the only person on campus not attired to ride. After always wearing polo shirts and jeans to school for so long, it felt nice to break my own mold.

As my friends and I left Engerwood, I remembered I had to meet with the school counselor and Coach Mike before watching the lesson. I didn't know what it was about, but I wasn't looking forward to seeing Coach Mike again. It would be hard to stay strong and keep my horse-free stance when face to face with a nationally recognized instructor.

The walk to the stable seemed especially long. Part of me wondered if Sonic would still be there. But he's been sold for a while now, I reminded myself as I cautiously followed my friends through the huge doors of the stable.

After a brief exchange of goodbyes, I peeled away from my friends, who set out to find their horses, and walked quickly to Coach Mike's office. On the way, I passed Vivian, who watched me with a cool expression as she bridled Garnet, her hot-blooded chestnut Oldenburg/Arabian cross.

I knocked on the door of Coach Mike's office, swallowing nervously as I stepped inside when told to do so. Coach Mike and the counselor, Mr. Hammerwell, were already seated inside. Tentatively I sat down in a vacant chair.

Coach Mike's office was decked in blue ribbons, elegant plaques, and gleaming first place trophies. His desk was blanketed in papers, and two computers sat open and humming gently on the surface. The whole room was engaged in a form of orderly chaos.

"Miss Rowanson, I'm glad to see you on your feet and well again. Can I get you anything?" Coach Mike asked from behind his desk. I shook my head.

"Alright, well, Miss Rowanson, I'm sure you're wondering what this meeting is about." Coach Mike continued, folding his hands on top of a stack of papers.

"We've called you in here to discuss your riding," Mr. Hammerwell said, watching me carefully. They knew they were treading on fragile ground. I gulped.

"I'm finished with that. I've sold my horse and I'm not riding again." I stated firmly, my voice quiet and calm. Through slightly narrowed eyes, I saw Coach Mike and Mr. Hammerwell exchange a look. There was a long, uncomfortable silence.

"Well..." Coach Mike started. I'd never seen him look so nervous about talking to someone.

"Miss Rowanson, I'm afraid you may need to change your position. Unfortunately, the school requires each student here to engage in equestrian activities as long as they are healthy and physically capable. We have here a report from your doctor stating that you are well enough to begin riding again, and it is even recommended to help your leg finish healing. According to the school rulebook, if students cannot meet the requirement I just mentioned, then they will be sent home to make room for students who can," Mr. Hammerwell told me in an apologetic tone.

I let his words sink in. The words "sent home" rattled around in my head. No, they couldn't do this. They were telling me to start riding again or go home. I couldn't go home. Not after meeting Lily, Halle, and Beth. They were my reason to stay. But I just couldn't ride again. I couldn't even think about the idea of it.

Noticing my prolonged silence, Coach Mike offered kindly, "Would you like to inform us of your decision tomorrow morning?"

"Yes please sir," I stammered quickly before standing up abruptly and walking quickly out of the office. My heart pounded in my chest as I rushed down the barn aisle. I passed Lily on the way.

"Hey, how did it go?" Lily smiled at me. Her expression changed when she saw my almost tearful face. Mouth opening and closing soundlessly, she reached out to put a hand on my shoulder.

"What h-" Lily started before I cut her off.

"I'll tell you later," I managed, my voice choked up and slightly angry. Lily closed her mouth and just stared sadly at me. I gave her bay tobiano Gypsy Warmblood mare, Revlon, a quick pat before rushing out of the stable.

As I burst outside, a completely unexpected sight stopped me dead in my tracks. Shivers ran up and down my spine, and a cold, tingling feeling came over me. Standing by the mounting block was a rider and steel grey horse. I thought Sonic had left. But no. The rider turned to stare at me. This couldn't be.

Sonic's new owner was Sofia.

**Author's Note:**
Hey guys,
Sorry about another short chapter! I hope this one had a good twist at the end there though?? And I just had to share that quote that I have posted with this chapter. As far as I know it's anonymous, but credit to whoever said it! It's not my words! :) Anyhoo, I'm sorta kinda almost finished with this book! Since I don't have school this week, I'm going to have a lot of time to write, so, if things go well, I'll release the final chapters of SCA next Sunday! Don't worry though, there's still like ten or twelve chapters to go, and at least most of them will be longer than this! And... I do have a sequel planned for this book! Yay! So, sorry for rambling. Comment, vote, PM me, tell me what you think! <3 you all!!