Fame is Overrated (chapter 4)

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait. This week has been really busy. I can't imagine how irregular my uploads are going to be once school starts! Sorry!:( To make up for it, i totally have a picture of Seth up already. You see that gorgeous guy in the sidebar? Yeah, that's my boyfriend. Except he doesn't know it yet. HAHA, he's Chace Crawford if any of you don't know. He's like how I imagine Seth Kingsley. I'll have a picture of Cory soon, alright? Probably in the next chapter. Wait patiently, my dears:) Meanwhile, pleasepleaseplease feel free to talk to me on my profile and comment&criticise my story. COMMENT, VOTE & LIKE!♥

(oh and go listen to the youtube song i posted. It's pretty freaking amazing. seriously.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4

            Avery rolled back her shoulders gazed at her reflection in the vanity mirror down the hallway. With her glossy lips pursed, she hoped she portrayed “cool new girl who means business”, not “lame new girl who fails at trying to look confident”. Then she practiced her smile. It was a more natural than the usual one she wore in photo shoots or music videos. This one wasn’t forced or was achieved to beaming perfection by a step-by-step procedure. Her lips were slightly tugged up at the corners and her eyes were twinkling. It was more of a laughing smile.

            “You can do this Aves. You’re a professional actor who’s been nominated for more awards than you can count.” Avery pointed her mascara wand towards her reflection, and took a deep breath.

            She cocked her head to the left and studied herself in the mirror. Her latte-brown hair – finally free from her blonde wig’s captivation – tumbled down in slight waves over her shoulders; her highlights, thought subtle, caught the light from the chandelier hanging from the high ceiling and winked at her. Her eyebrows were plucked. Her tanned skin was sun-kissed. Her ski-slope nose wasn’t surgically-perfected. And her wide, alluring emerald green eyes – her best feature, she decided – had dancing gold flecks that seemed to challenge anyone that dared look into them. Capping the mascara, she mentally assessed her outfit. She’d worn her favourite pair of skinny jeans for luck, a slouchy grey cashmere sweater, and a pair of caramel ankle boots. Besides her denim Citizen’s, Avery had made sure she didn’t wear too much designers. She didn’t plan on making any friends; hence she didn’t want to attract any unwanted attention.

            Hmm…But something was off. AH! She hurriedly slipped on the silver chain necklace.

            “Avery dear, you’re going to be late if you don’t set off now!” Astrid strode towards Avery in her spiky-heeled Manolos, and wrapped her arms around her. With tears in her eyes, she murmured, “Your mom would have been so proud if she could see you off on your first day of high school. Look at you baby, you’re all grown up.”

            Choking back tears of her own, Avery quickly grabbed her red tote bag filled with her school books and with a quick wave at her aunt, she rushed out of the house.  Settling in the driver’s seat of her platinum Audi convertible, she tilted her head back and breathed deeply. Oh God, she was hyper-ventilating. Mom, I need you now. Deep breathes. In, out. In, out. She clutched her necklace until she calmed down. Sucking back in her tears, she squeezed the steering wheel till her knuckles turned white as she started the engine. Happy thoughts, she reminded herself as she pulled out of the driveway and drove towards Connecticut High. Turning up the radio, she tapped her nails away to the high-speed beat of Keisha’s Take It Off.

            As the last beats off Glamorous by Fergie faded away, Avery realised she was already pulling up in the parking lot of Connecticut High. She watched as stretched hummers, Mercedes sedans, Porsche convertibles and Range Rover SUVs drove passed her, with people in them laughing.